Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#50044 - 15/12/2001 17:18 In my dash
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Ok, here are a couple of shots of the empeg in my dash under a Clarion head unit. Ignore the fact that I'm missing my glove box in the big picture. :) And I still need to shim the plastic that holds the ashtray (it's always been loose on the left side for some reason).

800x600 wide shot
695x600 close-up

I'll put up pictures of my entire installation when I'm done, including a custom-made amp rack (details below)

Source units:
-Clarion DXZ615
-empeg car Mk2a (Riocar) (connected to Clarion's AUX in)

Amplification:
-JL Audio 300/4 (75w x 4 powering in-cabin drivers)
-JL Audio 250/1 (for the subwoofer)

Speakers:
-JL Audio VR600-CS (6" woofers and 3/4" tweeters in stock Integra GSR door locations - had to modify baskets for woofers and upper grill for tweater mounting - all mod work is inside the door panels - looks completely stock on the outside)
-JL Audio VR600-CX (6" Co-axials for the rear)
-JL Audio Microsub 8.2 (2x 8" woofers in semi-cylindrical ported enclosure - sits on top of my amp rack in the trunk)

The amp rack encloses the amplifiers on all sides and blends into the trunk. There's an input and output fan in the rack, triggered by a relay which in turn is triggered by the remote-on of the Clarion.

The Clarion's antenna power lead is also connected to the empeg's cel-phone mute line. When you switch the Clarion to Radio, it causes the empeg to pause the current track. Unfortunately I was unable to find a way to make a trigger for when selecting CD on the Clarion.

Bruno

#50045 - 25/12/2001 20:15 Re: In my dash [Re: hybrid8]
traintrax
new poster

Bruno,

Did you paint your Rio Car Silver or did it come that way? If you painted it what paint did you use? I think silver would look much better in my WRX.

Thanks - Neil

#50046 - 25/12/2001 20:35 Re: In my dash [Re: traintrax]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I painted the fascia. I used a silver crafts/floral spray paint. Very similar to any other silver paint I've ever used. It's a must to do very (very) thin coats and let it dry a long time before the next coat. I hate working with silver paint, but this turned out pretty good. I gave it a few thin coats of clear when I was done.

The handle is not painted silver - except for a very small shot on the left where I had filled in the divet. I used a dremel rotary tool and cylindrical sanding bit to grind off the original powder coat. Then I did some wet sanding with fine automotive sandpaper (the black stuff - I used 1000 and 2000 grit - best to start with 600 though)

Bruno