Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#51476 - 25/12/2001 13:02 Tuner Module Installation
stormy
new poster

Loc: NJ
I just got a Tuner Module. I tried to install it, and thought I had hooked it up right. However, the empeg car stereo doesn't detect it. I am using the latest, 2.00-beta7 emplode/firmware. I really have no clue why it won't work. Anyone have any suggestsions?

Thanks,
Marc
[email protected]

#51477 - 25/12/2001 14:39 Re: Tuner Module Installation [Re: stormy]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Are you using the extension harness? If so, check that all cables are straight through (pin 1 to pin 1 etc) except for the blue (power antenna) cable - IIRC there were some miswired harnessess reported earlier...

/Michael

#51478 - 25/12/2001 14:42 Re: Tuner Module Installation [Re: stormy]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Check the wires on the back of the plug of the cage in the car as some of the early units had problems with wires coming loose.

Or try 1.03 as it is know to be good while betas could be flakey

Have you used the extension cable

#51479 - 25/12/2001 17:19 Re: Tuner Module Installation [Re: thinfourth2]
stormy
new poster

Loc: NJ
Thanks for the feedback... I will check the wiring as best I can and post more details. I am using the extension, so I will check that too. I don't really want to go back to v1.03, but I will try it as a last resort. Some wiring may have come loose when I pulled out the docking sled. But I think maybe they didn't hook it up right when they installed it. I got it done at Best Buy, so I don't know if its a good installation. Is there a wire that needs to be connected for the tuner to work? (I noticed a bunch of capped wires in the back.)

Thanks,
- Marc
[email protected]

#51480 - 26/12/2001 02:22 Re: Tuner Module Installation [Re: stormy]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
The tuner just needs the (correctly wired) extension harness, nothing else - except the antenna cable.

IMHO there is no reason - except a sloppy install - for there to be a bunch of capped wires (unless possibly if the factory radio integrates a lot of other functions). A few yes, if you don't use functionality like the dimmer and celllphone muting, but not 'a bunch'. The cradle comes with an ISO connector and the mating connector is supplied too. A proper install would just splice the mating connectors wires to the cars wiring, or to an adapter specific for the car in question - Tony has a good description of this in the FAQ at http://www.riocar.org

Unfortunately it is likely that the installer at Best Buy cut off the ISO connector and then started splicing directly... I wouldn't be surprised if your suspicion that they f*%¤#d up the install somahow is correct.

/Michael

#51481 - 27/12/2001 11:04 Re: Tuner Module Installation [Re: mtempsch]
kazama
enthusiast

Loc: Boston, MA
I would guarentee that is what BestBuy did as that is what they did on my install. If you still have a connected ISO plug and it doesn't work, e-mail support at Empeg. Once I got a new sled with a working connector, the tuner still wouldn't work and support said it was a problem with the board on the unit. Not a common problem but they shoul dbe able to help you figure out where you land and if you need to send the unit back for repairs. Good luck!

Greg