Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#51414 - 24/12/2001 23:02 Display track number in Info:Track
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'd like to be able to replace the "Plays" counter with a track # instead (the track number from the ID3 tag). Like so: [2/10]. This is NOT playing position shown at the bottom of the info:text display.

There would have to be a few conditions, depending on what information emplode tracks and what was originally in the mp3 tags.

Emplode does know about Track # that it reads from ID3 tags, but I'm not sure if it knows about the "total tracks" tag.

Assuming it knows about both:

If a track contains both tags: Show [#/of#]
If a track contains only track#: Show [#]
If a track doesn't contain track #: Show nothing

If it knows only the actual track # and not total, then it would be nice to have some intelligence. For instance, showing the "of #" to be the number of tracks in the playlist that specific track belongs to. This would work well if you keep tracks within album playlists.

This shouldn't interfere with the [#/total] at the bottom for current playing selections. This would allow you to queue up a bunch of albums. The bottom would show total tracks for everything queued up and the number at the side I'm suggesting, would show your current position within the current album.

When playing an entire album (something I do a lot) I like to be able to quickly scan to see how far I am through the album. When I queue a bunch of them (or otherwise insert an album into the middle of another long playlist) I can't tell how much of the album is left.

Of course I still think that this really belongs in a config.ini option which would include 3 settings (allowing Plays, Track# and nothing)

Bruno

#51415 - 10/02/2002 14:09 Re: Display track number in Info:Track [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I wanted to bump this back up to the top because I was really hopeful that it would get implemented in b11, and it didn't.

#51416 - 12/03/2002 17:33 Re: Display track number in Info:Track [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Here's another bump for this thread in the hopes that this makes 2.0 final... I know it's feature creep but it's not such a large request... And I'd like to add that it should accept track numbers higher than 99... I number multi-disc sets with three digits (track twelve on disc 3 is track # 312, for instance.)

#51417 - 12/03/2002 20:22 Re: Display track number in Info:Track [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Since posting that initial request, I have learned more about the way track numbers are stored in my songs. And why it seems like nearly all of my tunes only showed the initial number and not the /#" portion...

When originally ripping and encoding I tagged all my music with "#/total" - however, prior to uploading the music to the empeg with version 2 software, I ran my entire mp3 collection through Mp3TagStudio to clean up a few things. It truncates the trailing info from the track number tag. Ouch. I no longer use MP3 Tag Studio to write back to my files (it still has a few nice features, but its lack of functionality is greatly outweighed by what I consider the best tagger right now, ID3Tag-It).

Anything that I re-encode now gets the correct "#/total" string. In requesting this support in the player, I also hope the next version of emplode gets a fix for its treatment of track numbers. It currently doesn't properly support the fact that the track tag is actually just a string.

Bruno

#51418 - 12/03/2002 20:45 Re: Display track number in Info:Track [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Tangentially, what do you guys do for those annoying CDs where the artists thought they would be cute and put in an assload of blank tracks? (Cracker's Kerosene Hat being a good example.)

#51419 - 12/03/2002 21:00 Re: Display track number in Info:Track [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Let me check....

I seem to keep the original track number. For example, with Nine Inch Nails' "Broken" I have tracks 98 and 99 labled as such. And I can't remember how I had the "/total" listed. It would make sense that I would not follow the numbers from the CD for total. And by that token, it would make sense to re-number odd-placed extra tracks.

How about for extra music material that is at the end of a really loooooong single track? In these cases I've cut the actual listed track at its proper ending, left out the blank space, and created a new track for the untitled (or extra) work. For these abum I know I had instaces where I had two tracks labled "12/12" just because of the way the ripper works (Nirvana's "Nevermind" for instance). This is easy to correct by hand. Which I haven't done yet.

Bruno