Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7787 - 13/03/2000 13:50 Front Handle Design Flaws
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Hey guys, this really isn't a bug per-se, but more of a complaint. I'm not sure if it is just my unit, but the tiny screws on the handle keep coming loose. One almost popped out all the way. It seems that with a lot of use, these screws tend to get looser and looser.

I know that the handle design has changed with the Mk2's (a 90 degree handle is what I remember reading), so maybe they will have looked at this when they redesigned the handle.

Granted, its not a big complaint, I love this thing, and I don't mind tightening the screws every once in a while, but the average consumer might feel that the product isn't as "professional" as they would like it to be if they have to keep tightening the screws. :)

(O|||||O)

empeg rules!

#7788 - 13/03/2000 15:19 Re: Front Handle Design Flaws [Re: ClemsonJeep]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Although I don't disagree with the complaint, your personal work-around could be Loctite. Check hardware or electronics stores for this stuff.

I won't do it, though, because I like knowing that I can dismantle the handle if need be.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#7789 - 13/03/2000 16:17 Re: Front Handle Design Flaws [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Yeah, but Tony, the idea of Loctite is that it does let you undo it if you unscrew it, but it won't come loose from vibration.

This advice comes to you from years of experience on big V-twin Italian motorbikes and a TR 6 that likes unscrewing its own exhaust manifold studs!

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#7790 - 13/03/2000 18:18 Re: Front Handle Design Flaws [Re: ClemsonJeep]
corby
journeyman

Yah, I actually had a screw pop out when I jostled it against the desk. Had a bear of a time finding the right replacement for that funny Euro size. :)

Since fitting a new screw, the handle doesn't have as much play as I like. But I'm one of those weirdos that likes the 45-degree angle, and wouldn't want a 90-degree job.

Corby
6-Gig Blue, SN#320

#7791 - 14/03/2000 03:54 Re: Front Handle Design Flaws [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
We already apply threadlock to a number of screws in the empeg, I guess the handle screws could benefit from it also. I'll make a note for the Mk.2.

Rob

#7792 - 14/03/2000 09:58 Re: Front Handle Design Flaws [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Cool! Rob, you da man!

Well, except for that Lionel Ritchie thing. But we'll just pretend we never heard about that.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#7793 - 14/03/2000 13:34 Re: Front Handle Design Flaws [Re: rob]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
We already apply threadlock to a number of screws in the empeg

I thought of that when I opened up Emma for the disk expansion. Should I open up Emma again to 'locktite' the disk(s)?

Henno
# 00120 (6GB+18)

#7794 - 14/03/2000 16:40 Re: Front Handle Design Flaws [Re: Henno]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
> Should I open up Emma again to 'locktite' the disk(s)?

Nah, so long as you did them up tight they should be fine.

Rob

#7795 - 14/03/2000 22:47 Re: Front Handle Design Flaws [Re: tfabris]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Although I don't disagree with the complaint, your personal work-around could be Loctite. Check hardware or electronics stores for this stuff.

Well, I remember a previous post of yours regarding my work-around for the controller (which way it was pointing, by putting some tape on the bottom of it as a reference) where you said the average consumer shouldn't have to (or want to) do that. I doubt the average consumer wants to apply Loctite to the screws in their new 1200$ piece of car stereo equipment to keep the screws from popping out, nor would the average consumer want to be able to take the handle off their empeg. (Why would you want to mess with those screws anyway?)

Either way, I was just pointing out that the screw on the left side keeps coming out. Loctite will work for me (I already had some), but I was just suggesting that this issue should be addressed with the Mk2s before they ship. (Which Rob has pointed out has been addressed)

(O|||||O)

#7796 - 15/03/2000 02:32 Re: Front Handle Design Flaws [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
We've done a lot of work on the general hardware design of the empeg - the mk2 case is the same size and the same format but uses 8 fewer screws, which helps assembly time and means there's less to fall out (lot of stuff slots together).

Ideally we'd like the handle to be a one-piece assembly, but machining away that much aluminium would cost a fortune in waste. We're looking at casting the handle instead, but no news yet on costs.

Hugo

#7797 - 15/03/2000 10:33 Re: Front Handle Design Flaws [Re: ClemsonJeep]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Well, I remember a previous post of yours regarding my work-around for the controller (which way it was pointing, by putting some tape on the bottom of it as a reference) where you said the average consumer shouldn't have to (or want to) do that.

Right, which is why I said I didn't disagree with your complaint. Your point is well-taken.

Why would you want to mess with those screws anyway?

Well, when I replaced the faceplate with a different color, I needed to mess with the faceplate and the handle a little bit to get the tensions and positions just right. If I didn't do this, the buttons would stick and the handle would scrape a bit. Having the screws there on that part of the handle made this a bit easier.

Later, I dropped my Empeg's carrying case on one corner and cracked the faceplate a bit (I've since added more padding to my carrying case). After that happened, I needed to adjust the handle and faceplate again to get the buttons and handle working right again.

Which brings up another point: Rob, do you still have any green MK1 faceplates left? I might want to buy another one.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#7798 - 15/03/2000 10:40 Re: Front Handle Design Flaws [Re: altman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ideally we'd like the handle to be a one-piece assembly, but machining away that much aluminium would cost a fortune in waste. We're looking at casting the handle instead, but no news yet on costs.

What about redesigning the handle so it's a thinner, flat piece of aluminum stock which gets bent in two places to form the handle? As I recall, that's how the handle on my Sony pullout CD player was done.

Of course, this would require a redesign of the face to compensate, but you'd get more real estate for the faceplate that way. Ah, well, you're probably not interested in redesigning anything the Mark2 units at this point. Just something to think about for the next revision, I suppose.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144