Most of the time I can seperate a movie from its source
I agree. I'm a huge Philip K. Dick fan. When Blade Runner came out, there was a huge backlash against it because of the liberites it took with it's source, Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? But, really, those liberties were largely superficial, and the backlash overly pointed (read ``incorrect''). The movie had the same themes as the novel (which really was a more-or-less full-length novel in this case), it just changed some stuff around and excised other things that couldn't be fit in the time constraints of a movie. Even if you take into account the Hollywood happy ending that was tacked onto the original release, the themes were still the same, it just had a ``happy ending'', which was bad, but didn't undercut the entire point.

But Minority Report is a travesty of its source. I'll let you both read the story and see the movie to determine why. And it also totally throws away Dick's style. It's hard to translate writing style to a movie, but this one didn't even try.

Ah well. I didn't expect it to be good. I just didn't think it would be this bad, either.