From the eBay sellers FAQ

Can I end my auction early, without selling to the high bidder?

To end your listing early, please follow the steps below. If there are no bids on the auction listing, you may skip step 3.

1. Click on the "site map" link located on the Navigation Bar. Scroll down to the "End my auction early" link and click on it.

2. On the next page, enter your User ID, password, and the item number, and click on "Continue".

3. If there are bids on the item, you will see two choices. The first is "Cancel bids and end listing early". The second is "Sell item to high bidder(s) and end listing early". If you wish to end the item without selling it to any bidder(s), please select the first option and click on "Cancel bids". If, however, you wish to sell the item to the high bidder(s) for the current high bid price without waiting for the listing to end on its own, please select the second option and click "Sell item".

4. If there are no bids on the item, or if you choose to cancel the bids on the item, you will be prompted to select a reason for ending the item early. You can finish ending your listing by clicking on "Continue".

5. If there are bids and you select to sell the item to the high bidder(s), you will end the listing at the current high bid price by clicking on "Sell item". You will then be instructed to contact the high bidder to complete the transaction.

If you canceled the listing without a high bidder(s), you may qualify for a listing fee credit. Please send the information listed below to our Billing Team, and they will be happy to review your request.

* The item number(s) of the ended auction(s)

* Your seller's email address or User ID

* The reason for your request

Please send this information using our online webform

It sucks and seems deceptive, but is allowed.