Reply to:

what a strange ISP have you got ??.. are they unable to give you an IP in the same subnet..or can you ask them to give you a fix IP-address, so that you could set this IP on the empeg and then enter it (registry setting?) in emplode ?

- Yes, they give me up to 8 IP addresses through DHCP (www.ispchannel.com through Cable Co-op in Menlo Park, CA). I know it's crazy that different computers get different subnet IPs, it means all local traffic has to go via uplink/router/downlink, so that my formerly 30Mbit/s peer-to-peer transfers on the 100Mbit/s switch have dropped to 100Kbit/s (my upload rate). Don't worry, I've complained to them, but right now their only solution is to double my monthly charge from $49 to $90 or so to get static IP addresses :-(

Reply to:

The question does come up as to why you have different information in each tag, but you've already found a program to fix that, which is good.

- The tags were initially created with Easy CD-DA extractor via CDDB. On compilations this often makes the artist 'Various', so I used mp3-tag studio to edit the tags (great tool btw). However this clearly did not change the older tag so they got out of sync.

Reply to:

But at that point, you're talking about a system where the PC is the "master" list, and the empeg is the "slave".

- Yes, that's basically what I want, or at least some way to sync them with the desktop root folder taking priority, say using CRC checking . Rationale:

1) You can't get MP3s back out of the empeg (or at least using the consumer software, not sure about developer image) so I'm loathe to make something that is effectively inaccessible to other computers the master. Keeping the master on the desktop allows me to sync/slave other devices in the future.

2) I listen to music both in the car (empeg) and at home (desktop). The desktop is already wired into a sound system and has much more disk capacity. Plus it's a backup, as you say. I want the two to be synced, but new music will always come via the desktop (either from ripping or from Napster). The empeg is likely not connected at this time, and I have to store it somewhere on the desktop. Within the folder hierarchy is the obvious place, but you don't just do this a few songs at a time. There's no way I'm going to remember all the 100 extra songs / changes / reclassifications I did since the last time I uploaded them to the empeg.

Doing all this in Emplode just doubles the work and gives potential (likely) inconsistency. At least it should be an option to work this way, I think more people would want to do this than use the empeg as primary.