We already have support for "underscan" in our (unreleased) yPrPb Mac driver. I believe there are some "optimized" modes when using our adapter on a Windows PC as well. Having the same support over DVI would also be our goal. Basically the generated timing would be an HD standard one, but we would simply limit the display to a lesser pixel width and height. So that all pixels are in view. Notice how people using regular TV-Output complain about the reverse? When going full screen they have a black border around their displays, unlike with a regular TV image. There's an "Overscan" check-box in both PC and Mac control panels for this (if anyone reading has suffered this).

In answer to a previous question about more modes... Default modes are offered to match official timings. Usually VESA standard, etc... We don't just pick resolutions out of thin air. Also, supporting modes defined in a display's Established Timing portion of its EDID along with generating (semi) custom modes within display specs governed by GTF (Generalized Timing Formula).

Our Mac ROMs are very intelligent and will produce different results for different monitors. In Windows the ROMs are largely table-based, but the OS has its own support for plug and play (DDC/EDID) as well as defined monitor profiles. Usually generation of modes won't make any wide resolutions on this platform because such displays are not common. I suppose if they're in the EDID's established timing, you'll get them (but that accounts for about 3 or 4 max only). On the Mac side because wide displays are very common (thanks to Apple) we produce a lot of modes based around those displays.

Creating a ROM to generate a huge combination of modes will cause most users grief becaue they'll see more modes than they'd care to deal with. Windows by default has a shitty interface for selecting resolutions - can you imagine it with 50 different modes? Not including refresh variations. Plus if we don't adhere to monitor specs (such is the case when a display has no EDID), any number of the modes may not work for a given display.

Anyway, as I always ask people, tell me which modes you want specifically. And what monitor are you currently using.

Ok, too tired to take out the typos. I've come to the conclusion that although this IR keyboard is really cool (and seems to run forever on a pair of AA batteries - it's been over a year on thi set) it definitely cannot keep up with my typing rate and drops letters.

Bruno