You are running XP from what you are saying (Windows Report) and the symptoms you describe sound like you are using the wrong USB driver for the machine. You need to read the FAQ to find out the correct driver, remove the old one, install the correct one, reboot, try again.

Also, you are not being very clear about how you report your ethernet problems. I still can't tell if you are using a crossed, or straight, cable to your player. I also have not got a clear picture of the networking hardware setup you are using. It might be an idea to loose the frustration (we are trying to help), repeat your description of the problem (keep it simple and don't worry about upsetting people or thinking you sound silly) and then let us run a round of questions past you. I still think you are using a cross cable and I am not clear that your ethernet settings on your PC are correct.

Please help us to help you - we can't see your machine, can't use the keyboard and mouse, so forth. You are the eyes and ears. Without your help, we can't help you at all
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015