Most amp manuals and resources instruct you not to drive the amplifier (via pre-amp, the empeg in this case) at full volume. Instead, the recommend leaving a bit of head room, usually 3/4 volume on a traditional head unit. Is there any reason not to do the same here (ie. set the empeg volume lower than 0db when setting gain audibly)?

Another way to set/test gain settings is to use test tones and a volt meter. This is a quantifiable approach as opposed to a qualitative one by using (and possibly damaging) your ears.

In my previous installation I used the empeg as a fixed-output source device and then used a traditional head unit as a pre-amp. If I were to go to full volume on my HU, the amp would not clip, but I would be deaf.

I'd really like to grab a few good/clean repeating wave pattern files so I can go this route setting my gains with my multimeter.

I just got my new amp so I'll be doing some initial testing (to make sure it works) this weekend. Right now I'm planning on how to attach it to the car in the most stealth way possible.

Bruno