Originally Posted By: drakino
I haven't researched deeply into players into either side, but my understanding was that the non gaming console players in general were pretty poor. Slow boot times, lots of firmware updates with some painful update processes, and some other issues. Where as the 360 and PS3 are pretty quick to load and play a disc, and with their built in online networks pull down the updates easily.

To me, the whole idea of having mandatory field upgradable players like this is another reason for neither format to succeed. Who honestly has ethernet in their home entertainment setup outside the world of geeks like ourselves? Built in wireless might have been better, but you are still mandating fast internet service and infrastructure just to watch a movie.

Yeah, my HD-A30 takes probably around 40 seconds from power on to tray open (Hitting the eject button instead of power on then eject is much faster), then ~15 more seconds until the disc starts playing. I have heard the PS3 and 360 are faster, but only by like 5-10 seconds. It still is much slower than regular DVD players. At least every generation of HD DVD player will play all the features of their discs (even though it may take firmware updates to enable it)

I totally agree about having wireless. Most people won't go online to download a firmware ISO, burn it, and update their players (and how many will even know how to do that). Ethernet is definitely becoming more available, but not enough for mainstream consumers. The net update definitely is easy... but I do have 3 devices under my tv on my network. Like you said, "geeks like ourselves" are the typical people with ethernet there.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons