I had three iPhone 4s in a row develop a dodgy home button. First two were replaced without question.

On the third one we had a bit of discussion on how maybe it was me and not the phones (which is fair enough, it did seem like the most likely explanation). But in the end they decided I wasn't happy so replaced it.

Those replacements were inside Apple UK's 12 months warranty. I then had the radio and GPS start to fail on my fourth phone, a couple of months outside the warranty.

Of course the law in the UK is very different to the US. The law expects and requires something like a mobile phone to last without defect for a lot longer than 12 months. So when I took the fourth phone back I was confident of my rights for a repair or replacement.

Of course having legal rights and enforcing them are two different things.

In the end I didn't have to kick up a fuss at all. They replaced it without question. I did ask whether I could get a new one rather than a refurb, given that I had had 3 failed refurbs in a row. They granted my request.

I couldn't be happier with Apple UK when it comes to replacing faulty iPhones. Would have been nice if I hadn't had four failed phones in the first place though.