Originally Posted By: mlord
I picked up a pair of these Cree 60W bulbs today -- one "daylight" and one "soft/warm white". Amazing bulbs. Very good light quality from both of them. We'll see how well the "daylight" bulb works in our driveway lamp (very very cold) this winter. smile

Glad to hear it! Yeah, they're great bulbs.

I've become even more confused by the color labels in the store, though (marketing-wise). Yesterday I walked in and saw the bulbs in one of the end caps (they've really been displaying these things prominently for months now), and they had a few bulbs in lamps. One was the temp I like, the next was the harsh blue light that doesn't appeal to me, and the third was a recessed bulb and again had the softer (yellower) temp I like.

In the rack, they were selling several varieties of this bulb, with various "equivalent wattages" and also various color names. What confused me was that the "60W" bulbs came in two varieties: "soft white" and "warm white." The problem is that these descriptors are not labeled on the bulbs themselves, so if a customer doesn't remember what they called that bulb the last time (like I don't), there's no way whatsoever to know if you're replacing the same color bulb.

The two standard bulbs in the lamps differed in one way: they had their color temperature labeled on the tip of the bulb. But that didn't help, as both their "warm white" and "soft white" were listed as the same color temperature on the back of their packaging.

They need to simplify their message and properly label their products, or consumers are going to get frustrated. This is such an easy thing to get right and that makes it even more annoying.

Edited by Dignan (11/01/2014 03:31)