Okay, here was my plan:

I have all of my playlists in a standard tree with the artists as the first level, and individual albums at the second level.

I decided that if I played the top level playlist (hit the bottom button three times), since I was playing the whole Empeg, I would always want that level to shuffle-play. If I selected an individual album, then I probably wanted to listen to that album in sequence.

So, it seemed logical: Turn off shuffle play on the Empeg, and check the "always randomize" checkbox in the property sheet for that root-level playlist. Leave it unchecked for all the albums. That way, I wouldn't have to manually turn shuffle on and off every time I went from whole-empeg-listening to just-one-album listening.

So I did that. But guess what happens? When I hit that bottom button three times, it selects a random album, but then it plays that album from the beginning in order.

I think that if you tell it to "always randomize contents" for a playlist, it should shuffle every song if you select that playlist directly, no matter what its children specify. If the parent list has a child list that is not shuffled, then don't shuffle it- but only if you DIRECTLY selected that child.

Here's an example. Let's say I have this heirarchy:

empeg-car .......... <- "Always Randomize" is checked here.
.....Rush ............. <- And here,
.........Moving Pictures .......... <- But not for these.
.........Power Windows
.........Grace Under Pressure

In that case, if I select the root playlist or the "Rush" playlist it should randomize all songs no matter what. But If I select "Moving Pictures" it should always play sequentially from the beginning.

See what I'm saying? It makes sense, right?

Who's with me on this one?

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.