Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#103992 - 09/07/2002 12:03 Need some installation help/advice
clsmith

Hello;

I have a 94 Pontiac Grand AM. Currently I've got the Mk2A sending it's front signal to an A/D/S PowerPlate (powering a set of Alpine 5 1/4" components up front.) And sending it's rear signal to a Phoenix Gold 4 channel Amp (running a set of Polk 6" components in the rear deck and my Subs.)

My question is in regards to my Subwoofer situation: I have an MTX Road Thunder II Bandpass box (BPX10) in the trunk with 2 x 10" drivers in it. I'm currently running them in parallel @ 2ohms (Plenty of power and punch.)
Unfortunately, as is the custom with ported enclosures, the bass is quite "boomy" and not as tight as I typically like it (I X-over lowpass at 85Hz as I like the punch more than the boom.) To "tighten up" my sound I'm considering 2 x 10" or 12" drivers in a sealed enclosure for the trunk. I'm just worried about how good they will sound in there. I was under the impression that sealed enclosures were best used out in the open like in a pickup cab etc.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

#103993 - 09/07/2002 12:14 Re: Need some installation help/advice [Re: clsmith]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My sealed 10" sounds great in my car's trunk.

The difference between sealed and ported is the response curve. A ported enclosure or a bandpass enclosure will be louder, but they will have a frequency peak somewhere around the port frequency. A sealed enclosure will not be as loud but will have a flatter response curve.

One is not necessarily better for an open environment than the other.

#103994 - 09/07/2002 12:38 Re: Need some installation help/advice [Re: tfabris]
clsmith

Cool;

Thanks for the info. That makes me feel a little better about the location. Now the new question you've brought forth... Since the volume of a sealed enclosure will be somewhat less than that of my current box; should I go with 12" drivers to compensate (for the volume I mean .)

#103995 - 09/07/2002 12:40 Re: Need some installation help/advice [Re: clsmith]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Depends on what sound you're looking for. I'm told that 12s will generally sound more boomy than 10s, but I have no experience with them so I don't know.