Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#114461 - 17/12/2002 19:49 Re: Ogg Vorbis may now be possible! [Re: Terminator]
DeadFire
addict

Well, I'm not wasting space, obviously, because Ogg sounds better than mp3 at lower bitrates. But, like I said, gapless is a big deal to me. Currently, though, when I run music at home, it's right from the computer's hard drive, and not from the empeg, because I don't really have a place to put the empeg yet (home dock). When that changes... then I'll want Ogg on my empeg even more.

Since you say it's not an easy process and it can't (yet) be put into the empeg's official software, then I'll obviously have to wait, like anyone else who wants Ogg on their empeg. But that's not going to stop me from saving some space and having better audio quality on my computer at home.

#114462 - 17/12/2002 20:07 Re: Ogg Vorbis may now be possible! [Re: DeadFire]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I'm with DeadFire here. Ogg has great gapless support, MP3 requires you to jump through hoops when ripping and encoding to get good gapless output. I hope we see Ogg support soon, at which point I'll hole myself up at work and rip my collection again.

#114463 - 18/12/2002 01:32 Re: Ogg Vorbis may now be possible! [Re: tonyc]
DeadFire
addict

A friend of mine who runs mp3 from his Alpine CD/MP3 player in his truck finds himself wishing for a way to run Ogg instead. He still wants to start encoding that way, anyway, to save space. He has a laptop and a 120GB external drive, and a much larger music collection than I.

I was told there wasn't a downside to the Ogg Vorbis format, and so far that's mostly true. It's the wait that's killing me.

#114464 - 18/12/2002 10:31 Re: Ogg Vorbis may now be possible! [Re: Terminator]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Ogg has been working on our internal build for several weeks, but so far we haven't been able to find the time to fix the other (non Ogg related) bugs to release this to the alpha team. We have two huge projects on right now.

The Ogg codec requires our totally redesigned audio filter network which is a trunk (post 2.0) feature, so I'm not sure when we can release this more widely. I guess I need to take a close look at the stability of the trunk and make a call on that.

Sorry, I know it's frustrating. I really want to release this!

Rob

#114465 - 18/12/2002 19:04 Re: Ogg Vorbis may now be possible! [Re: rob]
BleachLPB
enthusiast

Loc: Maryland
Sorry, I know it's frustrating. I really want to release this!

Hey, c'mon - look how patient people have been about the tuners. For an eol product, we sure get a TON of attention!

#114466 - 18/12/2002 19:07 Re: Ogg Vorbis may now be possible! [Re: BleachLPB]
DeadFire
addict

It's true, we do. I'm rather grateful it's being worked on at all. While I'm waiting I can re-encode my collection, and thus have it ready for that wonderful day.

#114467 - 18/12/2002 23:00 Re: Ogg Vorbis may now be possible! [Re: Terminator]
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
You're right. Rioplay works okay for a hacker, or at least someone very unix savvy. Sadly it's not quite in the position of being a sole source of entertainment from the empeg.

The original Rioplay developer has other obligations, and I'm uncomfortable with making additional modifications to his code for fear of getting too far off the reservation, if you get my drift.

It needs some pretty serious attention before I'd be comfortable ditching the factory software in order to get ogg and flac support in my car.

For the house, on the other hand, it's pretty good. I've got rioplay up and running on my empeg playing oggs/flacs over the network and from the local drive, as well as shoutcast streams from the comfort of my home entertainment center (wirelessly).

The bits of rioplay that need the most attention are the a) keypress code: It feels pretty chinsy, not up to any standard of functionality really, and b) scanning through a given track: non-functional and I'm at a loss as to getting this working.

All in all, until it's received significant developer attention, I wouldn't feel comfortable having it in my car just yet.

By the time this happens, the Cambridge guys will already have it released to the public in their more mature code base.

Greg

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2