Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#16985 - 07/09/2000 10:13 Strange postal customs
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
I just got a note in my mailbox that my replacement remote control ($30 value)is in and the I will have to pick it up at the Post office. I only found this interesting because they were more that happy to leave the $1500 Empeg player on my front door step a couple weeks ago unguarded.

I know the - player comes FedEx and the remote came USPS, but there is still some irony here. I am not complaining by any means, in fact I am very happy with the player. OH - and after a few weeks of using the volume knob (no remote control), I have not had any trouble with slippage...(knock wood).

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue)

#16986 - 07/09/2000 12:16 Re: Strange postal customs [Re: morrisdl]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
fedex doesn't have any qualms against leaving merchandise on the doorsteps. The delivery guy will sign "doorstep" on the device as well. Ugh. I had stuff sent to me by fedex with a special handling note "do not leave on doorstep!" and they left it right on the doorstep.

Calvin

#16987 - 07/09/2000 14:11 Re: Strange postal customs [Re: eternalsun]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

It also varies on the carrier. I had one that would not take a signature, alternate drop or anything.
It depends on the delivery person, and when they last lost something...

Paul G.
Q# 15189

#16988 - 07/09/2000 15:36 Re: Strange postal customs [Re: pgrzelak]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
FedEx are required by our contract to get a signature at all times. If a package is left without a signature I strongly advise that you complain to your local depot.

It would be helpful if anyone in the US who has been affected in this way could email me their order number (or FedEx tracking number, or just your name if you've forgotten both of those!) so I can provide some evidence to our account manager. FedEx are currently working hard to keep our account, and I want to get all the glitches fixed at once, whilst I have their full attention

Rob

#16989 - 07/09/2000 17:45 Re: Strange postal customs [Re: rob]
gb14772
new poster

We have a signed release on file with FedEx and other
carriers that it is ok to leave stuff on our doorstep. They wouldn't
do it for us without this. I suspect that this is becoming more common
with carriers in the US, except for the post office.

-gbeck

Still waiting #145xx.....

#16990 - 08/09/2000 02:19 Re: Strange postal customs [Re: gb14772]
rob
carpal tunnel

Yes, it's cases where there isn't a release signature on file that interest me.

Rob

#16991 - 08/09/2000 10:36 Re: Strange postal customs [Re: rob]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

FedEx are required by our contract to get a signature at all times. If a package is left without a signature I strongly advise that you complain to your local depot.

This was required for me as well; I'm in Florida/usa
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!

#16992 - 09/09/2000 11:24 Re: Strange postal customs [Re: morrisdl]
rmitz

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I would just like to put a "me too" at being annoyed at having to go to the post office to pick up stuff from empeg. My building manager usually signs for everything for me and leaves it in front of my apartment. The post office wouldn't even let my current SO sign for it! (not that there's any legal attachments, but she did have all my paperwork with my signature on it). That is a bit excessive.

Fly me to the moon...

#16993 - 09/09/2000 13:25 Re: Strange postal customs [Re: rob]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
I had to go to the FedEx depot to get mine because it was sent to the billing address and not the shipping address, even though the invoice inside had my office address as the ship to. That was my only problem with obtaining my empeg. I checked the tracking number and it said "business closed on 1st attempt" so I gave our receptionist a rash of ^%#$ until she convinced me that FedEx hadn't arrived and called for me and said they attempted delivery at my home address. So if I really had a beef, it would be with empeg, but I got it faster than you could say "Coast to coast, no repeats" so I'm happy as a clam. Rob, sorry I never let you know about this, but it got me out of work early to get up to the FedEx depot...

Dave Clark Austin, Texas, USA
#7901 12g amber rocking a 98 Dodge Quad Cab 4x4

#16994 - 09/09/2000 14:58 Re: Strange postal customs [Re: davec]
rob
carpal tunnel

Sorry, I guess the dispatcher entered the wrong address into the FedEx system. You just can't get the staff! (Yes, he does read the BBS)

Rob

#16995 - 09/09/2000 15:02 Re: Strange postal customs [Re: rmitz]
rob
carpal tunnel

We won't send any paid goods other than by signature-required. If we did otherwise they wouldn't be insured - we won't take that risk, and I doubt our clients would want to either. Of course, it's also our proof to you that your goods were sent, and the postal service proof to us that they have been delivered.

How the signature-required service is operated at the destination is entirely down to the domestic postal service in that country. It sounds like the USPO are a little strict!

Rob