I just heard about a site that has been established to encourage in-the-flesh meetings and get togethers. It is called MeetUp and has some interesting potential to help us empeg users connect--not that this board isn't working well, but I thought some here might enjoy what these guys offer.

I don't work for them or even know them from anywhere so please don't consider this an endorsement and certainly not an advertisement. Truly is just something I thought was interesting.

Their rules are simple (from their site ):
In reply to:

Meetup Member Bill of Rights
The Right to Meetup
It's free to sign up for standard Meetups.

The Right to Privacy
Meetup will never share your email address with anyone without your permission (unless required by law).

The Right Not to Get Annoying Ads
Meetup will not have pop-up ads, and Meetup will not spam you. All email from Meetup will primarily be related to your Meetups. (There may be simple text ads in our emails and on our site.)

The Right to Meetup About Most Anything
Meetup is non-partisan, non-denominational, and enables all topics as our resources allow (with few exceptions for hate and adult-related topics).

The Right to Choose Your Venue
Meetups are open to venue suggestions and are open to a vote on venues whenever logistically possible.

In exchange for these Rights, please show up at your Meetups and support Meetup by joining Meetup+, patronizing your venues (buy a drink!), and being patient as we constantly improve.

Hope you find it helpful if not fun!

Cheers,
Tim