Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#249174 - 02/03/2005 13:11 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
If Samuri Jack wasn't popular I would say it was because they took a show that should have been a finite number of episodes and tried to keep it going forever. That is why I like anime they will actually end instead of keeping it going until the money stops then dropping the show. (in some cases at least)

Like witch hunter robin 26 episodes they had an ending and it's over.

Matt

#249175 - 02/03/2005 13:17 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
There is some comic book magazine (for collectors of the figurines) that had a little strip they'd run every month just like this.

"Twisted Mego Theater" in ToyFare. If you don't understand the title, Mego was an early action figure company. They produced most of the superhero stuff back in the early 70s, before action figures got small.

Looks like someone scanned a bunch of them.

#249176 - 02/03/2005 14:43 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
*edit*
I just wanted to make this more concise. Basically, I don't think Samurai Jack wasn't popular because it was "stretched out" (over 52 episodes? Shows go stale long after that many), but because the average CN viewer didn't have the patience for a beautiful animated show that took its time (and didn't have a lot of dialog).

Edited by Dignan17 (02/03/2005 15:13)

#249177 - 02/03/2005 15:31 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:
the average CN viewer didn't have the patience for a beautiful animated show that took its time (and didn't have a lot of dialog).

It's hard to say. On one hand, the lack of dialog may be a turn-off to some. On the other hand, it make the show far more accessible to non-English speakers. It's far easier to take Samurai Jack and redo it in every language, making it cheaper to market internationally. So, even if CN cut the cord, you'd think Hanna Barbera would have an incentive to keep it going.

#249178 - 02/03/2005 15:36 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
"Twisted Mego Theater" in ToyFare

That's it! I loved reading that every month!

#249179 - 05/07/2005 19:55 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: g_attrill]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Just to update my message about "Lost", it will be showing Wednesdays at 10pm on Channel 4, starting 10th August:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds22320.html

Gareth

#249180 - 05/07/2005 20:08 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Now that I've watched Battlestar Galactica (other than the last episode -- the first 15 minutes has music and sound effects but no dialogue -- how did that happen?) I have to concur. I thought that the miniseries/pilot was mediocre. Then I watched "33" and it was really good. Then I watched the next few episodes and wondered if people hadn't overrated it. But I persevered and it got really good. On the other hand, if you really need your scifi to be all heroes and heroics, don't bother. The really good stuff is being disappointed in people you thought you knew, wondering whose side you should be on, and if the ends really justify the means.

I do have to mention the few problems I have with it. First, the religion stuff needs to be more fleshed out. Right now it's just serving as a MacGuffin without any real meaning behind it. That is, we don't know anything at all about the religions, really, and cannot feel why these characters feel the way they do about them. Maybe that will happen. Second, Linda Park, I'm sorry to say, just isn't a good actress. And back on "Cylon-occupied Caprica", the guy playing Helo isn't all that great either. As such, those scenes aren't able to carry themselves as well as they ought. Seems like I had a third thing, but I can't remember it now.

I also have to promote The 4400, which is a pretty entertaining paranoia show, like The X-Files, except it seems to know where it's going. Hopefully it'll last longer than the other shows that I described that way. (Odyssey 5 comes to mind.)

Edited by wfaulk (05/07/2005 20:17)

#249181 - 05/07/2005 20:34 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I also have to promote The 4400, which is a pretty entertaining paranoia show, like The X-Files, except it seems to know where it's going. Hopefully it'll last longer than the other shows that I described that way. (Odyssey 5 comes to mind.)

My reaction exactly, to the letter.

#249182 - 05/07/2005 21:03 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: wfaulk]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:
the first 15 minutes has music and sound effects but no dialogue

I noticed that as well. It was actually moderately entertaining to watch the show with sound effects but without dialog. It reaired later, and they got the sound right.

Quote:
First, the religion stuff needs to be more fleshed out.

I'm willing to cut the writer some slack on this. Part of the mystery of the show is why, exactly, the Cylons are doing everything they're doing. Why engineer the next-gen Cylons to not only resemble humans but to be able to have kids with them? Remember the beginning of Babylon 5? It took a loooong time for all of the details to come out. BSG at least started off which much more of a bang than B5's Season 1.

In terms of acting quality, I'm neither enamored nor turned off by the secondary characters. They move the story along. I love the Baltar and Starbuck characters, and I'm really enjoying the ride. My real complaints are more with some of the combat strategy, planning, and whatnot, particularly with respect to FTL drives. Consider: they discover an asteroid with "tillium" (the magic fuel that makes FTL go). It's got a Cylon mine already on it and it's heavily guarded. Even if their amazing gambit worked and they succeeded in capturing the mine, I still don't buy it. There must have still been 100+ Cylon fighters in the air. They just turned tail and ran? None of them radioed or jumped elsewhere to report in? After that big explosion, all of the tillium refining machinery (and stores of pre-refined tillium) were gone. How are they going to be able to dig up, refine, and install all that extra tillium before the Cylons show up again? It's not like BSG has a tillium refinery below decks somewhere. I have similar issues with the "ooh look, we found water" episode and with their strategy in the season finale.

Of course, with the way they set things up, if they just let the story take its natural course, BSG and the whole fleet would have been minced meat a long time ago. Now, if they had the bumble-headed Cylons from the original series...

#249183 - 06/07/2005 00:28 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Part of the mystery of the show is why, exactly, the Cylons are doing everything they're doing.

True, but we know virtually nothing about the Colonials' religion, either. We know that it's at least loosely based on Greek mythos, but there's no indication about what it has to say about life other than "this has all happened before and it will all happen again" and a few prophecies. We know nothing of how it tells them to live their lives, and I think that's important in order to contrast the Cylons' beliefs against theirs. Without telling us anything, it's just an excuse for fighting, not a reason. And I think that the show's better than that.

Quote:
They just turned tail and ran? None of them radioed or jumped elsewhere to report in?

Yeah, they sort of halfheartedly addressed that by saying something along the lines of "without the mine, they'll have nowhere to refuel and we can mop them up". Still, you're right.

I think the point of that was to show how Adama's still keeping secrets when he feels like it, even when he has no reason to. That's actually the part of the show I like. There's about fifty different sides.

#249184 - 06/07/2005 01:45 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Coincidentally, I just started watching the 4400 the other day. I've watched the first four episodes and really like the concept, even though the show can be pretty heavy-handed at times.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4