Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#26992 - 20/02/2001 23:48 New Features Suggestion
forrie
new poster

I have some programming ideas that could add some neat features to the empeg player:

1) Develop software that will perform realtime "mixing" of songs. This could be done using several techniques, all configurable via the user interface (preferences). There are many "styles" of mixing. You could select a predetermined playlist, something at random (different genre might be a problem here), or by BPM (nowhere to store that in an IDv3 tag, so you'd need something else).

2) Normalizing routine for volume control. There are already OpenSource items that perform this. "Normalizing" can range from volume (loudness) control/continuity to base control and other portions of the music. Might be CPU intensive, though.

Thoughts?

#26993 - 21/02/2001 09:50 Re: New Features Suggestion [Re: forrie]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The "Mixing" idea has been discussed on this BBS in the past. Someone could probably write some third-party software for doing this if they wanted to replace the player completely, but it's not something that's in Empeg's plans to write.

The real-time normalization has already been done. Richard Lovejoy's Volume Adjustment Kernel works really well, I swear by it.

#26994 - 21/02/2001 17:19 Re: New Features Suggestion [Re: tfabris]
forrie
new poster

I found the page, thanks.

Being new to the empeg device, I need just a little bit of help about upgrading the kernel. I presume we just use the EmpegUpdate program and point to this file?

How will this kernel differ or change from the current "development" kernel.

#26995 - 21/02/2001 17:31 Re: New Features Suggestion [Re: forrie]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Please see the FAQ forum on this BBS for the entry "How do I add custom logos or kernels to the Empeg?"

Note that RJLov has not updated his kernel page since 1.01, and you should be running 1.02 instead (and it's bad to mismatch kernels and players).

Brian Mihulka has compiled a 1.02 version of the volume adjustment code, so use those files instead. Sorry I didn't post that link in the first place.

Make sure to get the zipped files and then unzip them before feeding them to my logo editor program.

#26996 - 21/02/2001 17:32 Re: New Features Suggestion [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh, and Drakino, sorry I didn't have that link handy for you, either, when you asked about 1.01/1.02 on ICQ today. Um, there it is, if you want it.

#26997 - 21/02/2001 19:15 Re: New Features Suggestion [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Thanks. Now that I have an empeg again, some of these posts should stick in my memory longer.

Now to wait for my roomate to get home with Cat-5 cable for my empeg. All I have around here is 50 foot cables, and only need a 3 to go from the hub in my room to the empeg :-)

(My home network is begining to scare me. 2 switches, 2 hubs, 1 bridge and mass amounts of things connected.)