Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#292682 - 24/01/2007 20:19 Display Extender Design
MarkM
stranger

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
This design allows an empeg user to extend the front display via ribbon cable. You will need the free version of Seetrax Ranger2 software to view the file. Have fun.

Attachments
293556-extender.zip (334 downloads)

#292683 - 25/01/2007 00:46 Re: Display Extender Design [Re: MarkM]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
Many thanks Mark. Hopefully, I will soon have detached face Empeg goodness in my Subaru.

#292684 - 25/01/2007 04:30 Re: Display Extender Design [Re: Mach]
MarkM
stranger

I got a call from Stuart last weekend and the price seemed reasonable. I figured if there was enough interest, a group buy could bring the price down.

In this type of installation, I've typically created a box to mount in the trunk. The ribbon cable lies flat under carpeting nicely. Making the front display look nice isn't too hard if you're handy. You can make a housing out of thin ply and put vinyl around it for a finished look. If you have a spare heater vent, you can create a mount that fits into the hole and blends into the dash. This allows for easy access to the front controls and makes for a great finished look.

There are some undocumented features of the extender board that I might be able to dig up. The design allowed for remote power at the display with a jumper for remote\local power. There was never a need for local power and I seem to remember the display running at a very high voltage. 60v seems to come to mind, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Take care connecting the small ribbon cable to the empeg motherboard. If you connect the ribbon cable to the header with a pair of pins on the outside of the connector, you'll blow one of the surface mount display fuses. You'll get the flashing blue status light and no visuals. Other than that, do take static electricity into consideration when handling these boards.

#292685 - 27/01/2007 16:48 Re: Display Extender Design [Re: MarkM]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
Thanks Mark, I've got a perfect place in the center of the dash for the front panel extender. I was planning on installing Empeg in the glove box instead of the back. In ideas, how to better ground the display to keep static from being a problem?

Patrick confirms the 60V display power. Any idea if remote power would be required to power the button LED add-ons that some of have installed?

#292686 - 27/01/2007 18:22 Re: Display Extender Design [Re: Mach]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Any idea if remote power would be required to power the button LED add-ons that some of have installed?

60 volts is generated on the display board by a switch mode power supply IC with 5 volt input as Patrick stated in your link. 3.3 and 5 volts are carried over the ribbon cable in tandom. I would imagine since this is what powers the display board that it shouldn't be a problem to power the light kits as well. The current draw from them is very low.

Stu

#292687 - 27/01/2007 19:16 Re: Display Extender Design [Re: Mach]
maczrool
pooh-bah

I do have a question for Mark or Patrick though. The transmitter board has a selectable baudrate for the RS232 via a 0 ohm resistor. A 0 ohm resistor on R52 equals 'normal' operation and a resistor on R51 equals 1Mbps operation. Both cannot be installed at the same time or there would be a short between 3.3 and ground. My guess is that we want normal operation or a resistor on R52. Anyone know for sure?

Stu

#292688 - 27/01/2007 20:38 Re: Display Extender Design [Re: maczrool]
MarkM
stranger

Do you have Patrick's email address? Patrick built these, so he would know. I might be able to track down an old extender set on Monday and see physically how ours were built.

#292689 - 27/01/2007 20:50 Re: Display Extender Design [Re: MarkM]
maczrool
pooh-bah

I've got it somewhere and can ask him.

Stu