Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#373121 - 22/10/2020 13:58 3D Printing
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Hi everyone!

Is anyone else here into 3D printing? I'm just curious. I only recently got into it when I realized the prices for printers was much lower than I thought. I picked up a very well-reviewed model for $270 and I've been printing pretty much non-stop since then. I got the Anycubic i3 Mega S and it's awesome. I love this hobby so much that I got a second printer, the Flsun QQ-S Pro.

And last night I set up my very first Raspberry Pi to use as a 3D Print server using OctoPrint to make my printer wireless (instead of sneakernet), and so I can monitor it from elsewhere in my network. I just finished wirelessly printing out a case for my Pi. I'll be adding a camera to it today (when it arrives), so I can record time-lapse videos of my builds.

So are any of you in the hobby? I'm still an extreme newbie but I'm really enjoying it. So far, I've mostly been printing small toys to use as rewards for my kids for things like potty training and doing well in Kindergarten. I've also printed a bunch of functional things to help me organize my garage/office.

Attachments
62498526441__48D352BA-1C6F-4EAE-BE25-5AC1CD611051.JPG

62498542262__BC441C76-9A1D-45A1-AF0F-002D6C4D8347.JPG

#373122 - 23/10/2020 07:44 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
I've been looking into it several times, but I never ended up buying one. I'd be absolutely just for fum, for me, but, I guess that is the best reason of all, right?

Just yesterday, I was talking to a friend and discussing (mostly learning) the differences between resin and filament printing. smile

I can't yet decide yet which brand/model would work best for me.

I'd love something modular that one can upgrade as needed, in principle - that'd add to the fun. But, I also would like to balance that with something that actually works, has good drivers support.

I'd like to pick everyone's minds here as to how you guys selected the printer you eventually bought. smile
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#373123 - 23/10/2020 12:16 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I've been tempted many times to get a 3D printer, but just couldn't decide on which on a feature set/manufacturer would be best for me. I would use it mainly to mess around with, but also because this Saturn V lamp looks amazing and I would love to build one.

#373124 - 23/10/2020 15:44 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I decided against a resin printer because it seemed a little messy and smelly to me, unless I got a full enclosure I could vent somehow. It also seemed like more post-processing work with the curing. But you do get smoother, more professional-looking prints. Maybe one day when I'm more confident about the hobby I'll pick one up.

There's a lot of upgrading you can do on almost any of the open-frame printers you see, at least from the bigger names with multiple products. The Ender line is popular, as well as the Prusa. I think there's several upgrades I can do on my Anycubic but I haven't looked into it.

My thought process is that I'll probably leave the printer alone and if I want more capabilities I'll just buy a higher-end printer later on. That way I'll have multiple printers that I can assign to different tasks, which would be nice since these jobs take so freaking long.

*edit*
One caveat is that I'm a total newbie to this so I'm not the best person to give advice other than what it's like to approach it as a newbie. I will say that I didn't expect it to be so hard, and there's far more variables to the process than I expected (and I expected a lot). But it's been fun working everything out.

Originally Posted By: Tim
this Saturn V lamp looks amazing and I would love to build one.

Ooo very cool!

Edited by Dignan (23/10/2020 15:46)

#373126 - 09/11/2020 20:44 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I've been into 3D printing for the last 5 years or so. I found myself watching Jerry Berg's videos on YouTube and thought it looked pretty cool. So I bought myself an Ultimaker Original+ in kit form. Which suited on two fronts, I love building kits and being an Ultimaker I was fairly sure it wasn't going to be trash.

That printer spent about 18 months living on the kitchen table, and I spent a lot of time trawling Thingiverse to find things to make. I realised quite quickly the attraction of printing Benchy's on demand gets old pretty quickly, and I found most of my printing was for prototyping. brackets, electronics project enclosures etc.

After a couple of years I had some spare cash, so I upgraded to an Ultimaker 3 Extended and a Form 2. The 3E is absolutely bombproof, it truly is a fire and forget type machine. You hit print and walk away. No babysitting required and with the dual extruders, I can use dissolvable and breakaway materials with ease, or print with two colours (which I don't bother with most of the time). The Form, on the other hand is great for high resolution stuff. But it's fiddly and messy, so it's had much less use. In fact, with the benefit of hindsight, I probably wouldn't have bothered getting it.

I did consider getting a cheap direct drive FDM (the Ultimaker's are bowden tube) for flexible filament, haven't bothered so far. There was a guy selling a direct drive mod for the UMO+, but he dicked me about for months on delivery, so I cancelled. So I did think about getting a Prusa, but I don't currently have the time or the space.

On the software side Cura and PreForm have always performed well, I did get copy of Simplify3D thinking I needed the extra features, but it never seemed to generate gcode that worked well on the UMO, so I've not used it for a while.

As far as CAD software goes, I liked TinkerCAD, but ended up getting sucked into the Fusion360 world. This, combined with my love of the Eagle PCB software means I've just forked over for 3 years of subscription to Autodesk for the pair.

I've just finished printing a bunch of router templates for hinges and locks/handles for the new doors I'm about to install in the house. Plus a new router baseplate to accept screw in metal template bushings. To me, that's a great example of what 3D printing is good for.

Andy M

#373128 - 10/11/2020 03:20 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to have to look at those printers. I like the machines I've been using so far, but they are FAR from "bombproof." Maybe "heavy breathing-proof?" That's about it. I've had some real frustrating leveling frustrations with my cartesian printer, and the belts on my delta got stretched because I overtightened them (to the specs in the instructions), so it's been sidelined until this evening when I finally got around to replacing them.

My 3D printing has fallen into 3 categories. I'd say about half the stuff I make is toys for my kids. They're small so it's stuff that's still exciting to them laugh. Another 30% is the kind of stuff it sounds like you make, tools to help me with other hobbies or templates or hinges or just generally helpful little things. This is probably my favorite kind of thing to make. The last bit is generally organizational stuff. I made modular drawer organizers that finally got two kitchen drawers in order after 8 years. I'm printing assortment boxes for my tool chest. Stuff like that.

If I were starting again, I would prefer the FLSUN to the Anycubic. Delta printers just strike me as a better and more elegant design. I also like that the piece doesn't move, which definitely helps with accuracy since it's not being jerked around. My delta is also about half as loud as my cartesian, so that's nice. And the build plate is roughly the same size but I can print much taller.

I see the Ultimaker 3 is a Core XY? I really like the look of that type. It seems to combine the advantages of delta and cartesian. Can you do mirrored/simultaneous prints with the dual extruders? That would be such an advantage for me with all these toys I have to print in pairs and different colors for my kids laugh

#373129 - 10/11/2020 22:18 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I do like the Ultimaker printers. Both the UMO+ and 3E have been brilliant. Yes, they're Core XY printers and so typically very sturdy and have excellent repeatability. Unfortunately, while the 3E is dual extruder, the distance between the nozzles is literally only a couple of centimetres. So unless you're wanting to print something very small. It probably wouldn't work. Combined with the fact that the nozzles actually sit at slightly different heights (one pops up and down when it's needed) so that they don't get in each other's way. The delta printers do look interesting, it seems like it would be easy to scale up in size. But I'm not sure the cartesian ones look particularly sturdy, at least not the ones I've seen. I did wonder about getting a Lulzbot Taz at one point when I was investigating direct drive machines.

I've made a few little generic assortment/organiser things, but it seems my impatience typically means I can't be bothered to sit around and wait for them to print when I can just buy stuff from Amazon and have them there next day. I went through a bit of a phase of making things for the kids, but unfortunately they're both now that little bit older and so slightly more discerning. I remember my oldest wanted a BB-8 when they first appeared. So I printed him a little model of one, but I think he was hoping for one that rolled around the floor and made noises, etc. I did make him a bunch of bookmarks with his name embossed into them, which he liked so much he took a bunch to school. I also also printed him out a huge T-Rex head that took something like 2.5 days and half a spool of filament.

Back at the beginning of the UK Covid lockdown, I spent a few days printing off a hundred or so mask strap retainer things. Both of my sister's-in-law are healthcare professionals so I posted them off a load each. That was cool. It felt like I was doing something to help.

My next big fad/craze ( wink ) is CNC. I bought a little CNC3018 Pro last year that I was hoping to start milling PCB's and front panels with. It also came with a laser attachment for burning/engraving. I tinkered with it for a couple of weeks and then had to get on with working on the house, so I've not had the time or the space to get it out recently. But it seemed at the time that the spindle motor was too weak, so I'd have to spend a bunch of time and money pimping it out before I could do much with it. Hopefully I might have time in the next couple of months to get looking at it again.

Andy M

#373130 - 11/11/2020 01:20 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oh man, it sounds like we're going down some similar paths, except you're a lot farther laugh

I spent a couple hours last night looking at 3018 machines and weighing whether I wanted to pull the trigger on something inexpensive now or save up for something a little more substantial later. I'm really having to think about the kind of projects I want to do. The 3018's look like they're mostly engraving machines rather than milling, and if you want anything with a router instead of a spindle you automatically jump from ~$250 up to ~$1-2K.

I certainly get the time vs ordering dilemma. I often think "I could just order this and have it in two days so why am I spending days printing this? For me it's mostly down to the customization. The assortment boxes I'm printing will perfectly fit an existing drawer, I can color code them, and I can print the exact selection of boxes I need rather than making a bundle of boxes fit my needs. I've looked at silverware organizers before, but none of them made such efficient use of space as the ones I printed. The modular system I used almost perfectly fits my drawer, and I was able to lay everything out and put it together exactly how I wanted. I love it. Now I'm starting to do other drawers in the kitchen.

Yeah, I'm lucky that my kids are still into the printed stuff I make for them. They even like little generic models, despite having three grandparents who flood them with plastic junk already. TBH, I think they like being able to graft their own imagination onto the things I make for them. It's a good outlet. We'll see how long that lasts, but I'm also making some interesting things for them like marble runs, transforming pumpkin spiders, cookie cutters, and fidget toys. I think those can last a bit. At least for my 3 year old smile

#373133 - 18/11/2020 17:49 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

After using my printers for a while now, I'd say that if you're a newbie looking to get into this for around $300, I'd suggest the FLSUN QQ-S Pro delta printer. It's been so much easier to use, which is contrary to everything I've heard...

#373134 - 19/11/2020 17:04 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Do you have any resources for the QQ-S Pro, like how to do upgrades or get it working with Octoprint? Something similar to our FAQ, I guess.

I tried searching, but came up empty.

Thanks!

#373135 - 19/11/2020 23:11 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Tim]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Tim
Do you have any resources for the QQ-S Pro, like how to do upgrades or get it working with Octoprint? Something similar to our FAQ, I guess.

I tried searching, but came up empty.

I'll admit, that's the biggest downside to the QQ-S. There's not really any support. I got this for around $270 on Prime day so I'm not complaining too much.

I did have luck with the VERY small FLSUN subreddit. I posted about my stretched belts and one of the folks there gave me extremely detailed instructions for how to replace the belts. It was great.

As for Octoprint, it's really the same method on this printer as any other. You just specify all the necessary settings once it's all set up.

I used these instructions to set up my OctoPi on both my printers and it was pretty easy, even for someone who has never worked with a Raspberry Pi before.

#373136 - 20/11/2020 11:57 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

That is kind of what I was gathering from my lack of finding anything.

I did see somebody complaining that Octoprint prints kept failing, they surmised because the board wasn't fast enough to keep up. That was from 2018 though.

Some places list a QQ-S Pro Upgraded, but there is no information on what has been upgraded. I was hoping to find something that said 'this is what was upgraded, this is how you do it on your base model'.

While looking for information, I did run across this post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comm...r_is_assembled/

That just makes me want to buy a printer even more.

#373137 - 20/11/2020 18:16 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Lol yeah I saw that too. Very cool!

I'm not having any problems with Octoprint. As far as I know the board in the QQ-S Pro is pretty good. They might not have set things up properly. I'm a total newbie to 3D printing and raspberry pi, and I've never had any hiccups.

Actually that's not entirely true. I finally realized that the auto-leveling feature of the QQS would refuse to complete if the Pi was plugged in. It would start up, but the second it first touched the build plate it would stop and not budge. But all I had to do was unplug the Pi's USB, run the leveling again, and when it was finished I could plug back in. Everything else works for me, and I've run at least 4 dozen jobs on it since setting it up.

I don't know what upgraded means either. Where are you looking at these? Are you buying second hand?

#373138 - 20/11/2020 18:18 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Here's a lamp shade I made on the QQS in vase mode using rainbow filament. It hangs upside down from a hanging socket. I'll probably put this in my son's room since he likes blue and yellow.

Attachments
IMG_7131.jpg

Edited by Dignan (20/11/2020 18:19)

#373139 - 20/11/2020 18:33 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

That is really nice.

Here is an Amazon listing that doesn't have a Marketplace Seller listed but claims updated permanent memory and autoleveling bed.

Another was on Gearbest (never heard of them) that also says upgraded, though it seems to imply that the autoleveling was upgraded.

#373140 - 21/11/2020 00:41 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Looks right to me. I'm not sure what upgraded means either. I think they're largely all the same. It's possible that some sellers are replacing non-essential parts to claim they've improved it. For example, on the printer you've linked to, I noticed that the spool holder is different than the standard one. That's purely a part that attaches to the top to hold the spool while the extruder pulls filament off of it.

The only upgrade I've done to my QQS is to replace that spool holder. The standard one is a piece of metal that's pretty terrible. It's too low and created a lot of friction on the spool. Really annoying. So I printed a holder that someone designed on Thingiverse. It houses a roller that turns on two bearings, creating very little friction at all, and now my spool rolls soooo smoothly. This makes less work for the extruder and I think results in slightly better prints.

#373141 - 22/11/2020 15:56 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
How timely! My kid (OK, 20yo) has just expressed interest in getting a 3D printer. She's found this one, but I know nothing about them.

If that one is significantly lacking, would you recommend the QQ-S for someone with amazing 3D spacial ability, but limited tech experience?

More to the point, what are the basics to get going?

thanks!

Edited by jmwking (22/11/2020 16:06)

#373142 - 23/11/2020 13:25 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

She's done good research! That's one of the most popular entry level models on the market, especially for the price. I think that'll be great for her. I don't know anything about printing on that type of build plate, as the two I've used both have a different type. But that model will have one of the largest user communities around, I'd imagine. And tons of replacement parts and printable parts.

All you really need to get started is the printer and some filament. I'd suggest getting at least a few spools of colors she likes, and some basic ones like black/white/gray. I've tried a few brands and I think I like the stuff from eSun pretty well.

Other than that, she'll get a lot from watching Youtube channels. I like "Makers Muse" and "Make Anything."

#373143 - 23/11/2020 13:35 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I just thought of something:

I'd suggest getting some replacement nozzles, just in case. I think these are the ones for that printer.

I ruined a nozzle very soon after getting my printer because I printed with glow in the dark filament, which apparently is extremely abrasive on the nozzle.

#373144 - 24/11/2020 01:29 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
jmwking
old hand

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

She has done 3D printing before in high school, and I think will really get a kick out of being able to do it on her own.

-jk

#373147 - 24/11/2020 14:26 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oh nice! I had the traditional shop class, but I'd imagine they're doing more of a "maker" class these days. Very cool.

A lot of it is also figuring out what kind of things you want to make. I wanted a mixture of small toys for my kids and functional things around the house and in my workshop. I think a traditional FDM printer like that one is a good all-around model.

I'm still debating whether I want to get a resin printer to print tiny, highly-detailed models. I'm not sure I'd use it enough to justify the cost. It's also messy smile

#373150 - 24/11/2020 22:28 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
jmwking
old hand

She's a whiz with CAD, and really good at 3D visualizing. She confounded her teacher when she drew up a fidget spinner with a geneva drive in some autodesk app, printed it once, inserted a metal bearing spindle, and it worked. OK, not smoothly (not enough inertia), but it did what she said it would. Teacher said it wouldn't work...

#373151 - 25/11/2020 05:29 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Nice! The design part is what's impressive to me. I can't do that stuff. Good for her!

#373152 - 25/11/2020 12:40 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
jmwking
old hand

She's waffling between a career in mech engineering and some sort of design job.

If she can learn to navigate her aspergers and adhd, I think she'll be really successful. (Unfortunately, that's still a big "if".)

#373153 - 25/11/2020 15:04 Re: 3D Printing [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Best of luck to her. I'm always amazed by people who can do that stuff.

I only have the ADD stuff to deal with.