Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5056 - 28/07/1999 16:46 Ford Explorer
duranike
journeyman

Ok. I have a Ford Explorer 96. It already has a 6 -cd player,( kept in the compartment between the two front seats). I would like to keep this setup, including my radio and tape player. Is there any way I can connect both systems to my one sound system. Also, any idea where I can mount the empeg? And finally, Im a resident in LA, California. Anybody know about any places that can do a professional instalation at a good price. I was considering Best Buy. Any input, wether positive or negative, wanted.
-Jordan

#5057 - 28/07/1999 23:00 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: duranike]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
I personally would not go to Best Buy(Or what I like to call Worst Buy) in any city. I would look in the phone book for a car audio only store for a professional install.

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#5058 - 29/07/1999 07:13 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: duranike]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
You might want to check out the "technical discussions" forum, as I had the same question about my changer.
I think I'm going to put in a 2-way switch so I can toggle inputs between the Empeg and my changer, and keep my existing tuner.
As for installation sites, I'd recommend any high-end car audio store (NOT Best Buy).
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about being #1225."

#5059 - 29/07/1999 07:33 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: duranike]
Festus
new poster

Loc: Mass, USA
Good lord, *please* do not go to Best Buy. I had a close friend who worked there and we watched a few installations. He does his own installations, and said that he wouldn't trust Best Buy with the installation of a AA battery in a flashlight, let alone an audio system. I have had very good experience with Tweeter, Etc. in Boston, but am not sure if they're out in LA. I would definitely not go to any "superstore" (Best Buy, Circuit City, lord, even Wal-mart does installations at some stores now, etc.), but would find a specialized car audio/security place. You'll pay more, but it will get done right, and a lot of places will stand behind their work 100%. Crutchfield can be great for parts, but remember this: only do it yourself if you know *exactly* what you're doing. I put the stereo, speakers, and harness in my car, but have never done an amp, and plan on taking Hugo's new toy to a shop to have it put in. It sounds like you're keeping the speakers and the rest of the stuff in the Explorer, but do you know what the back end of the OEM head unit looks like, and what the situation is with line-in/out? You may have to look into what Dearing said about a 2-way switch...not sure, but good luck!

Festus

#5060 - 29/07/1999 16:31 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: Festus]
duranike
journeyman

Yeah, I kind of figured Best Buy wouldnt be the top choice.
Umm, Im not really sure what a 2 switch thing is, do you mind explaining it to me
thanks
-Jordan

#5061 - 30/07/1999 07:19 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: duranike]
Festus
new poster

What I think Dearing is talking about is basically a glorified Y-connector. If the OEM head unit in the Explorer (I think it's a JBL, made by Harman/Kardon) has line-in's on the back (it should, if you've got the changer in there, there is *no* way that thing is hardwired to the head unit), they'll probably be RCA (red and white, like on a VCR or home stereo, also known as phono jacks). You can buy, or make, a RCA switchbox that enables you to send one or another input to the head unit. Hmm, that might not make much sense...what I mean is you have a little box with an A/B switch on it, A for the changer, and B for the empeg, for example, and each position of the switch has it's own pair of RCA inputs, and there is *one* pair of RCA outputs from your switch. I would go to RadioShack or some similar store to see if they have it, or get someone who knows electronics to do it. It should be pretty simple, you can even vary the leads if you need to (i.e. if the changer has some funky FoMoCo connector on it going to RCA on the head unit, you can incorporate that into your switchbox so it all works out.) Cut a hole and put the switch in your dash, or even tuck it somewhere that looks good. You don't even need to have the physical switch in the same place as the switchbox. You could tuck the switchbox's bulky parts under a seat (careful with the power seats though!), run some wires to the actual switch, and put it in the glove compartment, or that lame tissue dispenser (maybe the whole box would fit there, ooh, a custom solution! :), there are a ton of places to tuck that thing in the Explorer, you can email me if you've got any more detailed questions, and I'll see what I can do about making a schematic for a homemade switchbox. Good luck!

Festus

#5062 - 30/07/1999 07:45 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: Festus]
Dearing
addict

Thanks, Festus. I was going to say the same thing.
I went to Radio Shack, and the closest thing the haveis an A/B/C switch for home audio (It's about 5"x2"x4"), REALLY big for my
little truck (Isuzu Vehicross). In an Explorer, you should have no problem stowing it away. I'm going to have to check Sound Advice
(High-end audio store in my area), or make my own. It's a shame I just through out my Mouser Catalog :( .

_~= Dearing =~_

#5063 - 30/07/1999 11:03 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: Festus]
duranike
journeyman

Geez, you know the explorer like the back of your hand. I just fell out of my seat when you mentioned the tissue dispenser. :) You have been very helpful and I really appreciate it. Thanks so much. Ok, how hard is it to make my own switch box? Although I almost know nothing about sound stuff, I am a very quick learner. If given a good tuturiol or kit, I can do anything. Does radio shack make custom items? Would it be cheaper to just ask them to make it? When were talking about this, are we talking about the actual physical switch I press to go from A to B, or are we talking about the main switch device? Since your middle name is explorer, do you think there is any place to put my empeg so its, (1) easy to see from both driver seats and different angles from the back (2) not going to get knocked or kicked off because its not strongley secured and (3) somewhere where its not in direct line of the sun. And finally, I was thinking about possibly just taking out my whole unit and then somehow connecting a smaller interface and mounting it next to my stering wheel, it would only need like cd #, track #, and seek left, seek right, play, and volume and a couple of switches for the radio. Because the empeg would look sweet in the normal spot. I have my 6 cd in my compartment between the two front seats. The only prob is that I still would like to keep a tape player, although its not a must. Ok, see what you think so far and then i will pick you brain again. Again, thanks for you time and patience
-Jordan

#5064 - 30/07/1999 11:35 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: Dearing]
Festus
new poster

How about this? Buy the A/B/C switch from RadShack, take out the guts and the parts that you need, and put it in something smaller, heck, even a tupperware container would work great if it was hidden under the seat. I think it would still be better to make it yourself, and you would have something to brag about and show off along with your 3l33t empeg - more of a "I did it" custom job. If you find yourself with a whole lot of parts and no idea how to put them together, you could always run to RadShack and buy that switch that Dearing mentioned (how much was that, by the way?) and wire yours similarly. You would have *tremendous* amounts of freedom with the exact setup if you were to make it yourself, even with very rudimentary electronics skills, and I'll bet you could make it look *very* slick making it yourself for your Ford.

How about buying that prefab box from RadShack, buying a 2-way switch to replace the one that comes with it, and then getting any other minor parts you need to finish your box? That way, you'd have the knowledge of how a working one was wired, and it shouldn't be much of a problem at all to simplify that for your needs. Geez, you could even just buy the 3-way from RadShack, and then buy some other neat audio gadget to use up that last set of inputs! That way, you've got the magic word: (insert reverent tones) EXPANDABILITY!!

Festus

#5065 - 30/07/1999 11:47 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: Festus]
Cambscar
journeyman

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Better still, forget using an A/B switch - buy two double pole changeover relays, and use them to do the switching automatically from the Empeg's amp switching output (Orange wire on Empeg harness, unless Hugo's changed anything). You might have to add an anti-spark resistor/capacitor bridge across the contacts, but even then it's going to be pretty simple to construct. If anyone's interested, I'll see if I can sketch a schematic out sometime over the weekend and upload it somewhere.

Dominic

Cambridge Car Audio
http://www.cambscaraudio.co.uk

#5066 - 30/07/1999 13:05 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: duranike]
Festus
new poster

Alright, here is what I know:

1) Yeah, I guess I do know the Explorer, I'm, err, kind of a car guy. I don't even own an Explorer ; )

2) First of all, there's no way you're going to get RadShack to make you anything. All the guys are paid on commission, and could care less what the hell you're making as long as you buy something. Keep that in mind when shopping there. Don't worry though, making the box should be pretty simple, especially if you're at all familiar with a soldering iron (or are a quick learner like you said). It should consist of this:
a) Wiring (from scratch or by cannibalizing RadShack's unit) a working switch system, without the container. Just put all the pieces together and try it out (you can test this on your home system if you've got anything with RCA on it, just connect the main out to your tuner, and a cd player or even a walkman with a 1/8" (stereo mini jack) -> RCA adapter wire (RadShack ~$2) to each set of inputs. Build it and tweak the thing until the switch works well.) Once you've got a working switch, you've got to make it "car-proof." Unless it sits on the seat, it's going to shake, and it's going to vibrate. I'd make sure every single soldered joint is done very securely, and taped with electrical tape. When you pick a box to put the switch in, make sure you don't just drop the guts in, I would secure them to the walls of the container, and then wrap your automagical switch box with closed-cell foam padding to keep it from bumping all over the place. (*Please* don't tell me you do any serious off-roading with your Explorer, please?).
b) Once you've got a working box, the installation of such should be easy. It would be simple to close the box and run wires to the switch, that way, you could put it anywhere you want. The location of the box depends on where you want the switch. Pick a switch first, one that looks sexy, is easy and foolproof to flip, and that isn't so garish that you hate it after two months. Then pick a place for the switch. I'd say that the tissue holder, in the glove compartment, or in a custom mount. You could cut a whole in the plastic next to the second lighter outlet in the passengar footwell, or in the dash just to the left of the stereo and climate controls. (Incidentally, do you have an XL, an XLT (if so, is it a 941A or 945A trim package), an Eddie Bauer, or a Limited (or is it a two-door)? That would help, because the consoles are different with the different packages: trip computer, etc.) This would be a one-shot solution (i.e. you're selling the switch and the box with the car, unless you keep it until it dies), and I would think that you would want the option to put it in another car if you don't keep the Explorer. Sooo, I would say that a teeny hole in the glove compartment would be good, or maybe in place of another dash control? You could pull the fog light switch and put it there, and run the fog lights to turn on whenever your lights were on - that might look very professional ;) If you mount the switch any of these places, I would say to put the switchbox guts in as slim or small a box that you can, and tuck it up above the passenger footwell, or behind the console (you should be able to wedge it in pretty well, though you might have to pull out plastic pieces to get it in, pretty easy though. There are more options though... You could put it in the tissue dispenser, or (ooh, this might be really sexy, and hidden!) in the bottom of the ashtray. I small switch would fit *really* well in there, you could access it intuitively while you're driving, and it is hidden to distract any would be thieves from thinking there's anything especially fancy in the car (though I don't think that's going to be the case with a nice, shiny empeg sitting in there!) Still the ashtray would be a great place as long as you don't smoke. Geez, you could even put a small rocker switch in the hole for nickels in the coin dispenser, what do you need nickels in there for anyway?? The switch could even be tucked in with the changer in the center bin. I would say that the ideal place for the box with any of these locations (besides the ones in the dash) would be under the passenger seat. Wires could be run under the carpet (wrap them thickly though, don't want them wearing bare) and to a switch in almost any location your heart desires. You can put almost *anything* under that rear bench seat, but it's a little far back to run a lot of wires to everything. I think your best bet, and most professional looking, would be to build a box, and then run wires to a small switch wherever you decide to put it. That way, you have lots of freedom with the actual "press me" switch location, and you can run the wires to the bulky box and put that just about anywhere. There, that should take care of the switch :)

3) Whoa, before you go taking out the whole head unit, think about what you're getting into. That is a custom JBL unit, in a non-standard opening. Putting an empeg there would be a project unto itself (you'd need an adapter from Crutchfield, at the very least, and redoing all the wiring would *suck*). I won't even *go into* finding another place in the car for the head unit. Think of it this way. You have a perfectly professional, *very* nice looking setup already, all you want to do is mount this new component somewhere, right? Don't make it tons harder than it is (though I know that's hard, you should see some of the stuff I've come up with to put the empeg in my teeny Honda! ;) Making and installing a switchbox is one thing, but completely re-engineering your entire car audio setup is something that (in your position) I would trust only a professional shop with. Approach the problem this way: You can keep all you've got (tape, AM/FM, CD changer) and add an empeg and a switchbox. This ain't an afternoon project, and could take a couple trips to RadShack and a weekend or two. Be patient, and don't cut corners. I know how much you want that thing in the car, hell, after a few hours, *I'd* be tempted to duct tape the infernal thing to the dashboard! Just think about it before you cut any holes, and lay it all out where you want it before you finally cut any wires (leave yourself *lots* of slack...it's *real* easy to tuck away extra wires, but *real* hard to stretch them ;)

4) Hmmm...installation of the empeg itself. This is a toughie. You want to be able to see Hugo's neat graphics (so do I!!), but the engineers at Ford didn't take that into consideration when building the Explorer (doh!) So you're left with very few options. I do have a solution that I think would take care of 1) easy to see, 2) very secure, and 3) out of the sun (good plan!) so here it is. Mount it on the ceiling. I know, it sounds ludicrous, but hear me out. It fulfills all the requirements, and unless you have a sunroof, should be *possible* to do. You know those really neat custom enclosures that are sold in catalogs to hold VCR's, TV's, etc. in conversion vans? I'm willing to be that with a little patience and clever cutting, you could get one of those that would fit the empeg, and look pretty cool hanging from the ceiling. The only problem is that overhead console. Hmmm... I would suggest JC Whitney or something like Saleen makes parts for the Explorer. Even a conversion van catalog may have something that would fit your needs. Try buying a Car and Driver/Road and Track/Motor Trend/Automobile magazine and looking at the ads in the back of the magazine. I'm sure you'd find more than one little ad that has aftermarket parts for Explorer or Vans, for a couple of bucks, that could be just what you need. Anything other than that is going to take some thought. I'll get back to you.

Good luck.

Festus

#5067 - 31/07/1999 11:15 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: Cambscar]
duranike
journeyman

i would like to see the diagram

#5068 - 31/07/1999 12:00 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: Festus]
duranike
journeyman

(1)Its a Ford Explorer 96, v8, xlt, limited, 4 door. It has every custom gadget known to man kind. I dont know if its a 94A or whatever.
(2)Yeah, I have sodered before and Im starting to realize that I can do this, Ive made stuff life tape players and crap from little kits. But the question is, do I buy a kit or am I on my own to either copy one of radio shacks or make my own from some magazine. The part about the electrical tape, I can just tape it over the sodered connections?
(3)When you are talking about making all these connections that go to the fog lighter and in ash tray, how do I get everything all connected there without like having wires hanging out everywhere. Do I have to drill into my explorer and take everything apart. Now, as much as Im down to do anything for anything, I love taking stuff apart and making everything looking perfect, my parents, the sole owners and insurance payers would flip out thinking that I just decided one day to start ripping my exlplorer apart with no prepration.
(4)The best so far sounds like the ash tray, are you saying though that the whole switch box goes in the ashtray, or just the button
(5)No, I dont smoke. Yes I have a moonroof/sunroof.
(6)Ok, I still have a dilema with where to put my damn empeg. I like the creative idea of putting it on the roof, that would look sweet from the back!! But, I would have to reach up there to either push the buttons and or aim the controller, plus, if I wanted to read the diplay info on the song or slightly watch the colors as I drive (citizens beware!!), it would be too hard. What about this idea. Could I mount it on my dashboard directly above my stereo and air vents. I could like put some kind of covering over it, prefably the same as the dashboard, to protect from the sun. This way, clear to see, should be secure, and yes, for the final jepordy, it is protected from the sun. But, very visible for car thieves, and is it even possible to mount something up there? For the thieves i could have some kind of sliding door that covers the opening of the container! that would be cool but probably just one more thing to do that i dont know how to do.
(7)side comment, i was wondering. I heard that the empeg was coming with like bumper and or window stickers for your car saying empeg. If someone put this on thier car, it would be like a moving target to break into. :)
Thanks again
-Jordan

#5069 - 01/08/1999 07:35 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: duranike]
Cambscar
journeyman

OK, we'll I've spent a bit more time thinking about the whole automatic switch scenario, and I've uploaded a diagram at
http://www.btinternet.com/~avantg/schematic.jpg.

Assuming all the units being used have common L and R signal grounds, you should only need to switch the positive side of the signal, so only one DPDT relay is needed. D1 is included to try and eliminate any back EMF generated by the relay coil. The close proximity of the coil to the signal cable might mean that noise is induced into the signal cables, in which case, something like a 1uF cap strapped across the coil, in parallel with the diode ought to help. I've also included resistors in the Empeg signal feed to try and bring the level down a bit. My thinking is that, in series with the input impedance of the head unit, these ought to form a voltage divider so the head unit's input stage 'sees' about half the full 3.7v the Empeg can generate.

Needless to say, all of this is completely theoretical, and it'd probably be wise to run the whole lot with a dummy load in place of the head unit initially, checking the signal at points X and Y with a scope just to make sure you're not getting any significant DC content as the relay switches.

I'd be interested to hear any comments anyone might have about this...

Dominic
(Needless to say, all of this is totally unconnected with my employers, and any use is at the individual's risk!)

Cambridge Car Audio

#5070 - 02/08/1999 12:19 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: duranike]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Hey, Duranike --

Sounds like you're on the right track, and Festus is being amazingly helpful and generous with his time! (note to Festus: Keep up the good work. It's people like you that really make these forums helpful.)

I have a suggestion: visit a local professional audio shop, talk to the installers, look at the work they've done, and get ideas. These guys work on stereo installations all day long, day after day, and have really good ideas on how to deal with creative installations, and are usually proud enough of what they've come up with that they will be glad to share with you.

My current stereo installation is an example of their type of creativity: It is a total stealth system in a Taurus station wagon. If you look in my car, the only thing you will see is an inexpensive Panasonic CD plyer. Everything else is totally hidden, and not one cubic inch of usable interior space is taken up by the stereo system -- not passenger space, not cargo space, not storage space. The system is IASCA competition quality - I'm currently ranked #1 in the state in my power class, and #1 in sound quality regardless of power class. (Ow, that hurts my arm, patting myself on the back like that... ;-) At my first competition, one of the competitors looked in my car, and told me "Spectator parking is over there..." But I couldn't have done this kind of installation without a lot of help, ideas, advice, and labor from my stereo shop. We never did anything "spur of the moment" but always tried to come up with a couple of different ways of accomplishing what we wanted - and then thought about it for a day or so before getting out the saws and drills.

I guess what I'm saying is.... don't rush it. Take your time. Look before you leap. Try to come up with alternative procedures and pick the best one. Don't "mickey-mouse" it because you don't have exactly the right part or tool. If it takes a few days extra and a few dollars more, it will be well worth it in the long run. An extra $100 spent, amortized over five years of enjoyment, comes to about a nickel a day.

I'm guessing you'll have your empeg up and running long before I have mine -- I'm #8741 on the waiting list. But I already know many of the things I will do for my installation (including things like a heater to pre-warm the unit, because it gets 40-50 below zero Fahrenheit where I am; a solenoid locking device to prevent theft coupled with breakaway screws on the mounting handle; how I'll run the RCA outputs to my amplifiers, etc.)

Re: #7 in your list of questions... My stereo shop calls those things "Steal Me Stickers" and won't put them on anybody's car unless the owner absolutely insists on it.

Enjoy your empeg. If you think about it, drop me an e-mail and tell me how you like it.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#5071 - 03/08/1999 07:13 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: Festus]
Dearing
addict

I did find a switch on the internet (Radio Shack wasn't much help apart from the A/B/C Switch) that's 4PDT, meaning the toggle has 3
positions (on off on), but it closes 4 different circuits 2 different ways (8 circuits total). I think if I don't use a relay to move the switch
away from the box, I'll use this switch on the box with 6 RCA's on the back and stick it under my dash. I'd go for more high-tech solutions if my system didn't have to be removable with no permanent scarring (My truck is Leased).
I'm still not sure that I don't want to just send the audio through the Empeg, anyway.
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_

#5072 - 03/08/1999 08:45 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: Dearing]
Festus
new poster

Dearing,

Another quickie idea. If you look just to the right of the center console of the Explorer (with the stereo and climate controls), you will see a teeny little vent. If you put a small switch in that space (but not so large that it blocks the airflow. You could also run the wires part way down the vent duct, and pull them out at a joint or drill a tiny, totally unseen hole behind the dash to run your wires to the box.) It might look almost professional, and leave no permanent visible damage. What Tanstaafl said, about asking a professional install shop, sounds like a great idea. I know a fair amount about cars, and general info about audio installations, but your best bet for a creative mounting solution would definitely be a shop that does it day in, day out. Good luck with the switch as well.

p.s. *please* don't put those stickers on your car, it's like a beacon, as others have said here.

Festus

#5073 - 04/08/1999 18:19 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: duranike]
duranike
journeyman

just wondering festus if you either skipped the last reply or just got tired of answering my newbie questions. Either way its all good and you have already been more than helpful.
-Jordan

#5074 - 05/08/1999 00:52 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: Cambscar]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Dominic,

I was surprised to see the empeg has a control output dedicated to an amplifier changeover; how is this invoked on the unit? Or have I misunderstood - is this the "Power on" lead used to activate the amp as the unit comes on?

Are there any other pretty features buried in the outputs of the device?

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#5075 - 05/08/1999 10:45 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: schofiel]
Cambscar
journeyman

The relay's just switching off the Empeg's remote lead, ie. the one intended for external amp switching. My only slight reservation is that if you switch the Empeg off using the remote, rather than shut down completely, it just goes into 'standby' mode. I haven't (as yet) had the chance to check whether the remote switches off when it's in this mode, but I have got a few more Empeg related jobs due in over the next week or so though, so I'll have to check (unless Hugo happens to read this :-)

There aren't really any special features on the hardware side of things - but the serial port opens things up nicely in that area.
Just a shame I can't afford an Empeg myself right now, otherwise I'm sure I could think of a few uses :-)

Dominic

Cambridge Car Audio

#5076 - 08/08/1999 07:09 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: Cambscar]
mac
addict

In reply to:

My only slight reservation is that if you switch the Empeg off using the remote, rather than shut down completely, it just goes into 'standby' mode. I haven't (as yet) had the chance to check whether the remote switches off when it's in this mode, but I have got a few more Empeg related jobs due in over the next week or so though, so I'll have to check (unless Hugo happens to read this :-)

Well, I'm not Hugo but I hope this helps :-)

When in "standby" mode the amplifier remote lead goes low so this shouldn't be a problem. The screen is turned off and the hard disk spins down too.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

#5077 - 11/08/1999 06:01 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: duranike]
Festus
new poster

duranike,

1) Alright, the Limited has the trip computer the changer, and all the geegaws, it's basically a 945A (2nd trim level on the XLT) that's been hopped up quite a bit.
2) To make this box fit nicely in your vehicle, I would say by far the best (if not the least painful) way is to do it yourself. All of the parts should be available from RadShack, DigiKey, Mouser Electronics, or Blackbox. Once you get the wiring working, it's a matter of putting it in a container than fits wherever you're going to hide it. The eletrical tape is just a bit more insurance from bumps/rubs/jerks/etc put on the wires. It's another level of protection and can make any exposed joints look a bit better (if not less noticable).
3) To run anything into the ashtray, you are going to need to drill. Likewise with behind the dash itself (unless you run the wires up one of the ventilation ducts to the front of the dash). You *can* pull the ashtray (give it a good yank) and drill through the plastic underneath, then replace the ashtray if you ever get rid of the vehicle, and no one will be the wiser. Most wires could even just be tucked an inch or two under the edge of the plastic of the center console (down where it turns into carpeting), or kind of pushed out of the way. The easiest way to do this is to make the wires *real* long then cut them to the length you need. It's really hard to cut wires longer.
4) I was saying that just the button would go into the ashtray, the rest of the box would be hidden somewhere else.
5) a) Good, you can futz with the ashtray. b) Hmm, no roof mount then.
6) Where to put the thing...Well, roof's out, not real visible from the front, and the sunroof puts a real damper on that idea anyway. In the dash? No, that's a permanent hole. On the dash in a custom enclosure? Hmm, that might look *very* nice if it's done well, but it is also *very* visible. Even in an enclosure, I would still worry about the sun beating down on it, ever left something on the dashboard? It still gets real hot, even if it's sheltered, I would be *real* careful with that. There is one more option, and I think it's been mentioned before...You could mount the unit itself under the rear bench, or in the far back, somewhere out of sight, and do this. Get an RF relay, and use the receiver to grab the IR commands from the remote. The first relay would be an IR receiver and RF transmitter which would then broadcast the commands to another relay mounted right in front of the empeg unit itself. This relay would be an RF receiver and IR transmitter which would then broadcast the commands right to the empeg, as if the remote itself was right in front of the unit. I really have no idea about the details of this, but I do remember it being mentioned on this board somewhere, try asking Dominic perhaps? I dunno.
7) Sure, you can put the stickers on, just make sure you let me know where you park it, ok? Be a bud, leave the keys in it too. ;)

Festus

#5078 - 11/08/1999 11:15 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: Festus]
duranike
journeyman

Hmm... Even though I have considered putting the empeg in the back or something, im still using that as a last resort. I really dont want to spend over 1000 dollars and not be able to show off my empeg, especially the visulization thing! Well, here are my last ideas. Could i (or some professional) mount the empeg in either (1) the front center airconditioning vent (2) in the coin/stuff holder below the stereo and above the ashtray (3) and finally just remove my current stereo put the empeg in that slot, then either not have a regular stereo or put a smaller interface in the existing slot or some real small interface somewhere near the stering wheel. I know number 3 is drastic but im really not planning to sell my car really soon, and by the time i do i might just sell the empeg with it and just get a new one (which should be a million times better unless the y2k destroys earth as we know it :) ) and i would kill to have my empeg right there easy access and free for all to see, including criminals if thats the case. Tell me what you think and how much damage to my car and wallet will any of these options take, especially 3. Thanks for your time and patience.

#5079 - 11/08/1999 11:46 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: duranike]
Festus
new poster

Alright, if you want those funky plasma clouds pimpin' your car, this is how I see it. The coin/stuff holder is probably a definite no. That part of the console I think is just too narrow, and even if it wasn't, might require some pretty irreversible cutting to do it. The air conditioning vent would take some work and cutting as well, I believe, plus, it would absolutely *axe* the efficiency of your climate control (all the air would have to come out of the defroster vents and the side vents near the doors. In the summer, that air going up toward the empeg might cool it *way* down (don't think that's at all necessary), but in the winter (unless you close off those ducts), the heat could do some damage to your unit. I don't even think those would be the right size anyway, too skinny. Removing the stereo you have is probably your best option, to tell you the truth. You can get adapters for FoMoCo's oversized slots from Crutchfield, buy an amp, and have an exclusively empeg system (I mean geez, this is like *80* full albums at 128k/44.1kHz!!) You could then hold onto the changer and head unit for when you sold the vehicle, and chuck them right back in, or you could try to sell them in the want ads. This option would cost you an adapter from Crutchfield (go here), and the cost of whatever amp you choose. Try to buy one that's suited to the speakers you've got (probably 20-45 watts per channel? I'm not sure of the power handling limits of the JBL's), that way, you won't have to buy new speakers. You can also get some cash back if you decide to sell the changer and head unit. Crutchfield also offers this, which would allow you to mount the empeg in it's own bay under the dash. (This would require all the switchbox work, etc. that we talked about earlier, but might save you some $$$ and allow you to keep your current setup. It would have a limited placement area though, pretty much just under the glovebox part of the dash on the passenger side.) That's about all I can think of now...

Festus

#5080 - 11/08/1999 18:42 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: duranike]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Duranike --

Maybe I've missed something, somewhere.... but I don't see why you would even consider keeping your original stereo. Rip it out, replace it with the empeg, add a decent quality amplifier and you're in business. I highly recommend having the work done by a professional stereo shop -- they have answers at their fingertips to problems you can't even imagine. You're already most likely spending somewhere between $1200--$1500 for the empeg - what's another $300 or so (including the cost of the amplifier) to have the job done safely, quickly, and better than you could do it yourself.

tanstaafl.

#5081 - 18/08/1999 00:22 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: Dearing]
evil
new poster

Loc: ca
Here I come and I am going to tell you straight up that this idea of switches and things is just not going to work. Sure it may work mechanically and sound may come out, but its going to be the worst thing that you will ever do. If you are going to pay all the money for an expensive mp3 system to be in your car, you really don't want some 2 dollar eyesore switch that you constantly have to play with. I have installed many stereos and have a top of the line system my self, and when I think about switches that you need to change to control different inputs I only think of 2 words. sloppy instalation (moderated comment even if no harm was meant. Ed.). Trust me, You will just find it a complete pain in the ass to have ugly and annoying switches floatign around your car. Take a sacrafice and get rid of the tape player, install the empeg in the din slot the tape deck was in, tapes are far inferior now, I am not trying to be rude, I just don't want you to make the costly mistake of doing all this sloppy work and having your car look like a joke, you will never see any professional installer use a switch like the one that these people are describing. Just go to a custom stereo installer that will do the job and do a good job of it, for the investment its far more worth it. I would stay away from Best Buy and other large chains, they do not have the experiance with custom work. I also live in the LA area and I do know a very good stereo instillation place that does show quality systems, feel free to email me if you would like more information.

#5082 - 18/08/1999 01:19 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: evil]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Evil --

You are singing my song exactly. Good advice (even if a bit crudely stated) ;-)

tanstaafl.

#5083 - 18/08/1999 09:20 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: tanstaafl.]
duranike
journeyman

But still man, i understand what your saying but..... I figure ill ask the installer what he thinks and besides, a nice switch hidden somehwere would not be messy. Plus I want the ultimate system! I want my A.M., i want my friends be able to play thier cd's in my car, and i still would like a tape player just to say i have one. (Dont ask!) But, after reviewing the price and problems could arise to do this i am starting to sway toward empeg only. Its not out of the question though. Its just that i have a multi cd changer set up nicely and i love my stereo. But who know what the future will hold for my car, but still, dont count out the stereo just yet, the fat lady hasnt sang yet!
-Jordan

#5084 - 28/08/1999 21:49 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: evil]
Festus
new poster

If it were my car, I would be completely ready to rip the head unit and put in an empeg-only system. However, Duranike asked for advice with how to *add* an empeg, not to replace his system, I gave it. I'm still convinced the best way to do it would be empeg-only, but hey, no accounting for tastes...I help how I can.

Festus

#5085 - 29/08/1999 10:38 Re: Ford Explorer [Re: Festus]
duranike
journeyman

Actually I have contacted a couple of car audio installers, and after what you said, they said, and where I want my empeg to be located in my car, i have decided to just rip out the existing stereo, all cd changer and all, and just install the empeg only system. I will miss my AM radio but oh well.
-Jordan