Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#40248 - 04/10/2001 13:29 empeg plays fast?
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Loc: Dover, NJ
It's something I've never really noticed before, but my brother was riding around in my car and said the music from my empeg was playing slightly faster than normal. So to test, I chose a fairly lengthy track (20:42) and started it at the same time on my computer and on the empeg. I noticed the time would gradually diverge a bit as the song played, and by the time the track ended it was several seconds ahead on the empeg.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar experience. Perhaps there's a way to make slight adjustments to the play speed.

I'll have to get my copy of the CD and do a comparison with that to see just what is playing faster or slower than normal.

Any ideas?

--Chris Willenbrock
MK2 | 12GB | Queue Registration # 2 (really!)

#40249 - 04/10/2001 13:32 Re: empeg plays fast? [Re: cwillenbrock]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This is due to a problem with VBR files and the old XAudio engine's inability to handle the time index if the VBR headers aren't properly generated.

This will be fixed in version 2.0, if I'm not mistaken.

#40250 - 04/10/2001 13:43 Re: empeg plays fast? [Re: tfabris]
cwillenbrock
enthusiast

Loc: Dover, NJ
I know about the fast forward / rewind problems with VBR files...I didn't know if this had relevance to that or not. If there was more problems with VBR files, I was not aware of them.

However, the file I was testing with is encoded CBR.

--Chris Willenbrock
MK2 | 12GB | Queue Registration # 2 (really!)

#40251 - 04/10/2001 15:12 Re: empeg plays fast? [Re: cwillenbrock]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
There's a thread on MP3.com at the moment along the lines that "my PC plays CD's more slowly than my xyz music player".

This is quite easy to prove either way, against a decent domestic CD player for reference.

Rob

#40252 - 04/10/2001 15:23 Re: empeg plays fast? [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I mis-read the original question. I thought he was saying that the empeg's time-index indicator was five seconds off of the actual track time.

Sorry. I need to read more carefully when replying...

You guys wonder how I manage to post so much. It's because I speed through things too quickly...