Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#333541 - 31/05/2010 21:31 The summer TV season '10
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
With the networks pretty much all ending their shows in May, and USA starting up their summer season, I ask: what were you all planning on watching on TV this summer? Naturally, I plan to be out and about and enjoying the summer fairly often (I don't have a choice, the wife will make me get out), but I also enjoy winding down at the end of the day with a good TV show.

Usually the summer is a little more sparse, with maybe 3-6 first-run shows that [my wife and] I watch, as opposed to the fall/winter/spring when there might be as many as 15 or more.

For me the big ones, as alluded to earlier in the post, are USA Shows:

Burn Notice
Royal Pains [a fun summer show]

Then the other ones I'm looking forward to are:
Eureka [which has been off the air for around 537 months]
The Closer [which has been off the air for around 538 months]

Then there are other shows that are continuing into the summer, like:

In Plain Sight

and...

Wow, that's about it. I won't know what to do with myself! I'm counting in my head right now, and the number of fall/winter/spring shows I watched last year total about...20 shows a week. Yeah, I watch a little too much smile

Well, it'll be a good summer to get my wife caught up on a few older shows. We're about 15 episodes shy of finishing up the Buffyverse (this has been my 4th time through Buffy and Angel), to be followed by Firefly and Dollhouse (my wife is a huge Whedon fan now). I'm also going to risk it all by seeing if she enjoys my favorite show of all time, Avatar (the real one).

You may notice that I've left out a few popular shows, especially True Blood. That's easy to explain: I just don't like it. I watched the entire first season, and I was just annoyed by all the characters. The biggest problem for me was Anna Pacquin, who had the worst accent and the worst acting on the show, which is not good when she's the main character.

So what else are you people looking forward to? Mad Men? Should I try watching that? I also usually include Dexter as a summer show, but this year it doesn't appear to be airing until mid-September. Lastly, I know reality TV is the big thing these days, but it's discouraging to see a list of premieres and it's almost all reality shows.

#333542 - 31/05/2010 21:38 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'm looking forward to Lost. Oh, and the new series of Top Gear. Outside of that, whatever looks interesting on the TV rack at Frys or iTunes, but probably not much else.

#333543 - 31/05/2010 21:54 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: Dignan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Not planning on watching any broadcast shows over the summer. There's simply nothing I'm interested in.

I'm busily ripping down DVDs of shows we have and purchasing others on itunes so we are stocked for the summer. So far the plan is:

-Rewatching LOST.

-Rewatch Season 1 of Chuck and then moving on to 2 and 3 (we somehow lost track of Chuck- I don't know what because I really liked it).

-Star Trek: TNG- entire series (I already had 1-4, and my father has acquired the rest).

Will probably re-watch Firefly and possibly Dollhouse as well. That should keep us busy.

I'm undecided atm about BSG- we watched it before and somehow dropped about 2/3 through season 2. I haven't heard a strong enough opinion about the show to decide whether it's worth investing in getting the entire series (I'd probably want to start over to remember the plot line), which is probably about $150. An extremely positive review or tiring of our existing DVDs might sway me.

My wife has also recently acquired the entire series of Charmed and Sex and the City- neither of which I'll be watching (ripping down Sex and the City is kinda painful, tbh), but they should keep her entertained at least. Also may be ripping down Buffy for her as well (we have season 3+- I'd have to get 1 and 2)

It remains to be seen if these shows will really keep me interested through the summer months with material I've (mostly) already seen.

As an aside- we purchased two Apple TVs and it has made us super lazy now. We don't even have a DVD player hooked up any more because we can't be bothered to change disks.

#333545 - 31/05/2010 23:19 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: JeffS]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
True Blood (starts in 2 weeks)
The IT Crowd (soonish if I recall correctly)
Weeds (Late August)

#333546 - 31/05/2010 23:45 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: Dignan
So what else are you people looking forward to?

It is very unlikely that I will turn my TV on, unless it is to watch a DVD.

tanstaafl.

#333547 - 01/06/2010 02:01 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: tanstaafl.]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Entourage - 26th June
Top Gear - 20th June
The IT Crowd
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#333554 - 01/06/2010 10:27 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: JeffS]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: JeffS
I'm undecided atm about BSG- we watched it before and somehow dropped about 2/3 through season 2. I haven't heard a strong enough opinion about the show to decide whether it's worth investing in getting the entire series (I'd probably want to start over to remember the plot line), which is probably about $150. An extremely positive review or tiring of our existing DVDs might sway me.

This is one of the things I'm turning out to love about Netflix, being able to watch TV shows that I never bothered to watch (or stopped watching) the first time around. My brother convinced me to give BSG another shot, and it is sitting there in my queue waiting for me to get to it. It is slower than having the DVDs (it isn't available for streaming), but it is a lot cheaper (if slower) than buying it without knowing if you are going to enjoy it.

#333555 - 01/06/2010 10:50 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: Tim]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
I watched BSG to the end, and while I don't regret the hours I'll never get back and did enjoy it somewhat, I wouldn't do it again. It was only just good enough to keep me from giving up...

I don't watch SGU because of it. One series like that was enough... SGU seems a BSG knockoff...

#333559 - 01/06/2010 12:15 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: larry818]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I think you can watch BSG all the way through the first half of the finale, then once the big fight scene is over, just turn it off and walk away. Once they tried to "explain" everything, it was all downhill.

Strangely, I've kept up with the newer Caprica show, even though it's based on much of the same bogosity. We'll see whether it shakes out to be something interesting or not.

#333570 - 01/06/2010 14:47 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The severe downhill momentum for BSG for me started at "All Along the Watchtower". I'm not sad I watched it all the way through, but the first two seasons, with some exceptions, were nearly brilliant, IMO, and the later seasons didn't even come close.

#333571 - 01/06/2010 14:53 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: wfaulk]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Yeah, total agreement. What a mess.

#333588 - 01/06/2010 17:39 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: JeffS]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
The severe downhill momentum for BSG for me started at "All Along the Watchtower". I'm not sad I watched it all the way through, but the first two seasons, with some exceptions, were nearly brilliant, IMO, and the later seasons didn't even come close.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. I could have forgiven the "All Along the Watchtower" stuff if the show didn't end the way it did. I know there's plenty about Lost that's unexplained, but nothing about the use of that song on BSG made any sense at all. Ugh.

Was the "New Caprica" stuff in seasons 1/2? If not, I'd say that just after that was when I thought it went downhill. I liked it despite Lee-XL smile

Oh, I just remembered my other USA shows:

Psych
White Collar [which had a big 1st season ending]
Covert Affairs [going to try this one out - not sure if I'll like it]

I think USA has turned out to be my favorite network overall. They don't have my absolute favorite shows, but they put out consistently enjoyable stuff, and they really give their shows a chance. I don't seem to recall a series they launched that only got one season, and they've stuck with a few until long after they were viable (Dead Zone).

Originally Posted By: JeffS
My wife has also recently acquired the entire series of Charmed and Sex and the City- neither of which I'll be watching (ripping down Sex and the City is kinda painful, tbh), but they should keep her entertained at least. Also may be ripping down Buffy for her as well (we have season 3+- I'd have to get 1 and 2)

I guiltily admit to having watched almost all of Charmed (not Sex in the City). As I've said before, I'm a sucker for fantasy, and Charmed had an okay mythology around it. It's definitely a soap opera, but it's fairly entertaining. For whatever reason, my wife and I just stopped watching with only a season or two left.

That reminds me, my wife and I will have to watch Buffy season 1. We actually skipped that one, because the two previous times she's tried to get into the show we started with that season, and she found it too silly (it's pretty darn silly in places). We started with season 2 and went from there...

#333603 - 02/06/2010 02:11 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Oh, almost forgot. Hell's Kitchen, which I just started watching tonight. It can be a little over the top sometimes and I definitely prefer the non-dramatic episodes.

#333660 - 03/06/2010 02:31 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: hybrid8]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Watch with Kristin has a good list of shows starting in the next few months.

Futurama - June 24th

#333663 - 03/06/2010 03:07 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: Attack]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oooo, I forgot about that new show "Pretty Little Liars!" That looks really good!

Hahaha, no, it really doesn't smile

We saw a "sneak peak" of it at our movie theater's pre-show reel. I laughed all the way through it.

Thanks for the list, though. There were one or two things I didn't see on my list. I'm nervous about Futurama. I liked the movies, but they didn't completely work for me. I think that's because that world works better in tight bursts, so perhaps the new series will be a return to form.

#333685 - 03/06/2010 15:22 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Just found out about The Walking Dead an AMC series directed by Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile). Sounds SWEET. No release date announced yet, AFAIK.

I love me the zombie movies, a TV show will be sublime. wink

#333690 - 03/06/2010 16:21 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I've been following that since it was announced, and I'm really excited about it. Here's an interview with the creator of the comic about the series. Unfortunately it's slated for the fall, so we'll have to wait for ~October for the premiere. Still, I can't wait. Have you read the comic? It's fantastic. Super depressing, but fantastic.

#333724 - 04/06/2010 13:29 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Oh, I'll also be finishing up episodes of Sons of Tucson and Happy Town which will be on within the next two weeks.

Another premiere on Fox, The Good Guys. And I just found out that Leverage is back in a few weeks for season 3.

I'm willing to give Jason Lee's new show, Memphis Beat a shot, but I haven't heard anything about it other than the loosest of synopsis on TV.com

#333731 - 04/06/2010 14:09 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Ooo, I forgot about that show. I'll watch pretty much anything Jason Lee is involved in. I saw Almost Famous again the other day. He's great.

#333889 - 10/06/2010 01:59 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Happy Town is still going strong in my books and IMO, just getting more interesting. I truly think ABC axed two of its best shows this season (HT and Flashforward). I've now set up The Gates and Scoundrels as favorites and will do the same for Rookie Blue to see if ABC's summer schedule lives up to its past lineup.

I don't like they way they debut and axe shows before they've even had a realistic chance, but at least they have a diversified lineup, unlike CBS which pretty much has CSI on every night of the week in almost every timeslot - sure, they're under different names, but they're all CSI.

#333892 - 10/06/2010 10:45 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: hybrid8]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I don't like they way they debut and axe shows before they've even had a realistic chance, but at least they have a diversified lineup, unlike CBS which pretty much has CSI on every night of the week in almost every timeslot - sure, they're under different names, but they're all CSI.

While I'm not going to disagree with your overall point, CSI Miami is DEFINITLY a different show from the other two. LV certainly was better when Grissom was on it, but it has not descended to the ridiculous level of Miami. CSI Miami just silly with the overacting, overuse of lens flares, a set that look nothing like a crime lab (WAY worse than LV, which is pushing credibility as it is), running around in Hummers, action sequences that don't belong, and overacting (did I mention overacting?). Humorously enough, the majority of people I've met who like CSI: Miami don't really care for the other two.

We did catch an episode of Miami once that made me laugh out loud- the dialog was something like this

Distraught Hispanic mother says, "A white girl goes missing and every is excited about it. Our girl goes missing and no one cares"

Caruso looks at her sternly and says "ALMOST no one"

Yeah, way to make her feel better, champ.

#333895 - 10/06/2010 11:42 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: JeffS]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

CSI (the original) is actually quite watchable. But it's still very formulaic and most episodes end up being very similar. Miami sucks for the same reasons (why do we need the same show with a different backdrop) plus everything you've said. I also feel the same about CSI:NY. Then we have NCIS, which has a decent cast, but it's really just another similar show. They do well for CBS, so they just spin them off.

CSI
CSI:Miami
CSI:NY
NCIS
NCIS:L.A.
Cold Case
Criminal Minds
Criminal Minds (Suspect Behavior) spin-off (confirmed/coming)
Without a Trace
Numbers
The Mentalist

Of course NBC is spin-off guilty as well, but at least the two I'm thinking of (Law and Order, SVU and CI) are somewhat different than the original. They both completely suck, but they're different.

ABC and Fox are the only two of the big four that have done anything interesting every year for at least the past 5 years. But their churn is extremely high. On the one hand it gives new shows a chance, on the other, you never get to watch anything to conclusion.

Edited by hybrid8 (10/06/2010 12:15)

#333897 - 10/06/2010 12:53 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: hybrid8]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Ah, I missed your point that you mean formulaic crime drama in general. Yeah- crime drama shows have gotten totally silly and out of control.

#333937 - 10/06/2010 20:51 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: JeffS]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I had to chuckle when you said that CSI was formulaic, because all those crime shows are formulaic.

I tend to watch those shows only when there's some sort of added twist to it. There has to be something special to keep me interested in the forensics.

That being said, I can add some shows to your list, Bruno:

Castle
Psych
Bones

These are all shows that are similar to the ones you mention, but they have another layer that keeps me interested (well, two of them I watch for Buffyverse people smile ).

Edited by Dignan (10/06/2010 20:52)

#333938 - 10/06/2010 20:57 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Many of the medical dramas follow the same formula, too. Especially House. Don't get me wrong. I love House. It's a great show. But it's very formulaic, and it's very procedural. It's just that instead of criminals, you have diseases.

#333939 - 10/06/2010 21:00 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Dignan
That being said, I can add some shows to your list, Bruno:

Castle
Psych
Bones

These are all shows that are similar to the ones you mention, but they have another layer that keeps me interested (well, two of them I watch for Buffyverse people smile ).

I just started watching Bones (now on Season 3 I think) and think it is great, if disgusting at times. Castle is just pure genius. I never heard of Psych.

#333941 - 10/06/2010 21:29 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: Tim]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

However, House is following its own formula. The CBS shows all seem to follow a CBS/CSI formula - the same formula with mostly the same plots in each show - you only need one CSI show, not a dozen, on the same network. But, it's working for CBS in terms of ratings.

#334050 - 12/06/2010 15:58 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

One of the best zombie designs I've ever seen. I can't WAIT for The Walking Dead:

#334674 - 02/07/2010 11:40 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I've been reading a lot about the production of The Walking Dead. Aint it Cool has even done a set visit, and from what I'm hearing about the approach of the cast and everyone involved, they're really trying to be faithful to the idea of the books.

As for other shows on the air right now, I've finished up this season of In Plain Sight, and have been thoroughly enjoying all the other USA shows.

My wife got me watching Top Chef, and I've very split on it. On the one hand, I despise the stupid and manufactured "drama" on the show, where they hope and pray that one of the contestants will go off on the others, and then only show those moments. After all, everyone knows that contestants on these shows aren't here to make friends. But on the other hand, I do love cooking shows, and it's fun to see this one in DC.

#334716 - 03/07/2010 16:53 Re: The summer TV season '10 [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I've *just* started watching Burn Notice, Hung and Breaking Bad. All good pilots so far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >