Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#296635 - 08/04/2007 19:11 Excessive heat = synchronise and playback problems
MonkFish
new poster

Hi

I've got one of the first MarkII's; had intermiitent hangs, pops, wheezes, etc. Checked the IDE mobo connector and had it resoldered last year. Unfortunately the problems persisted, so I replaced the hard drive. Problems still persist: constant failure of synchronising using jEmplode (perhaps one ot two tracks before machine times out.) Occasional sigkill error (3.00+Hijack). Even though temps seem normal, casing seems very hot to the touch.

If unit is in-car, when it gets up to temperature the music becomes troubled: pops,screeches, etc.

I think the problems are definitely heat-related and I don't know what's causing it. It's driving me mad. I've had the unit for years and love it, but I'm that close to binning it and getting an ipod-compatible head unit.

I've used a replacement power supply for several years (12V, 1A) but that's the only non-standard 'part.' If anyone has any idea, or can recommend a repairer (both Eutronix and the 'official' EU repairer have failed to respond to my emailed pleas) please let me know.

All the best

Richard

#296636 - 08/04/2007 23:08 Re: Excessive heat = synchronise and playback problems [Re: MonkFish]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The pops and screeches definitely indicate a problem with reading data from the hard disk.

Please give specific numbers when you say the "temps seem normal".

Unless your installation location is situated right next to a heater duct, in direct sun, or double-Din'd in with a hot CD player, temperature is unlikely to be the cause of the problem, it's just the catalyst that makes the problem crop up.

If it's possible to reproduce the problem indoors, put a recent hijack onto the player, play the unit until the error happens, then reboot the unit right away while capturing a boot log. Then post the boot log here. Info about the hard disk problems will be in the boot log, where Hijack is reporting the IDE data tests.

#296637 - 09/04/2007 00:38 Re: Excessive heat = synchronise and playback problems [Re: MonkFish]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
both Eutronix and the 'official' EU repairer have failed to respond to my emailed pleas)

Please be patient. I tend to reply to business e-mail more on week days. This being a holiday weekend, I just haven't had time. I promise to give your inquiry full attention tomorrow. But please start with Tony's suggestions.

Stu

#296638 - 21/05/2007 21:34 Re: Excessive heat = synchronise and playback problems [Re: MonkFish]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Bad cable. If the one you have has a pink stripe, you can re-crimp it. If it has a black or grey stripe, bin it and go for a new one.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015