Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3979 - 24/04/2000 10:06 Sleep Timer
delphideveloper
new poster

Ok, you folks are going to think I am nuts. I will be getting a used mk1 soon and I'm curious about the following.

Can I set a "sleep timer" on the unit so that it will quit playing in X hours?

This would be a really cool feature for many reasons, but, primarily because I like to listen to music when I go to bed, but, usually forget to turn it off, or, roll over the remote control, etc.

Just an idea. I feel like I already own an empeg by all of the reading I've been doing. Can't wait to get my hands on one :)

Thanks.

#3980 - 24/04/2000 10:25 Re: Sleep Timer [Re: delphideveloper]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Congratulations on your purchase of a Mark 1 unit.

The Mark 1's don't have a sleep timer, since they have no real-time-clock. However, as I understand it, that feature might happen on the Mark 2's at some point down the road.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144

#3981 - 24/04/2000 10:32 Re: Sleep Timer [Re: delphideveloper]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
I think it would be possible to write a program (running the developer image) that starts before the player and keeps track of the time (not the REAL time, but counts seconds or something) that could, at a predefined time after starting, kill the player software. The only problem would be starting it from the player or knowing how long it should run before killing the program...no problem as soon as the Empeg team gives us user program controls, like from the menu or something.
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#3982 - 24/04/2000 10:40 Re: Sleep Timer [Re: Dearing]
delphideveloper
new poster

Even to just play 5 more songs would be quite cool, and, would eliminate the real-time clock problem. I would think that this would be quite easy to code, once I get comfortable with the unit and its features, I'll take a look at the source.

Thanks.

#3983 - 24/04/2000 10:53 Re: Sleep Timer [Re: delphideveloper]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
First of all, unless you wrote the program to read from the (remapped) serial port, and enabled time-stamping output from the player, the "sleep" program wouldn't be able to know when new songs started playing. Secondly, there is no way yet to start another program from within the player; you'd have to start it running before the player started, meaning there'd be no way the program would know when to start counting.
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#3984 - 25/04/2000 15:38 Re: Sleep Timer [Re: delphideveloper]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I was thinking about adding this to mine, but just found it easier to have my laptop send the empeg the control character to go into sleep at a certain time. The Mark 2 will make this easier, as I can then set it to turn off at this time every night. The Mark 1 does have a RTC, but it dosen't run when the system is unpowered. (I set the date right about 2 weeks ago, and it's a few days off now.)

My empeg site is:http://24.236.3.131/empeg/

#3985 - 25/04/2000 21:04 Re: Sleep Timer [Re: drakino]
delphideveloper
new poster

Good idea. Thanks.