Quote:
From the basic description of the Moxi by Rick, it doesn't really sound like something I'd want to spring for, especially if DVD burning is a major selling point. My general opinion on component burners of any kind, for a home entertainment system, is "no," because a drive version of it will always be faster, cheaper, and more reliable.
End Qote

I must apologize. I did a little digging and found the Moxi on Digeo's site. (I think they bought it up a while ago.) The Moxi Media Center does not appear to have a burner. It does list an option cd/dvd drive, but no burner.

The selling point for me isn't a burner anyways, it's the multple tuners. I have several prime time slots where I want to record multiple things at once (Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights). This is also where the new RePlays look very tempting, but I believe the Tivo Series 2 has the same kind of ethernet NIC features, but an initial glance at their website doesn't show it.

Now, if the burner is something you want, try taking a look at Panasonic's new PVR, at http://www.panasonic.com/recorder. Personally I'm not interested in saving old shows as much as I am about watching things that air at the same time. I can count on one hand the number of very old shows I've kept around, and I have a 120 hr RePlay box. I'd definitely take a 2nd tuner over a dvd burner. (And I record at the lowest quality.)

I've been to the AVS Forum (mentioned below) a few times and have been impressed (re: overwhelmed) by the amount of information there. It's definitely the place to go if you want to spend a few hours digging through some good material. My devout Tivo-loving co-workers highly recommended it to me.

- Rick