hardcore audiophiles can not reliably distinguish a 128K-bit MP3 file from the master recording

Don't believe everything you read, Corby . Most people can easily hear the difference between a CD master recording and any MP3 copy if they compare on a decent stereo system. The MP3 theory that it can eliminate certain frequency bands without anyone noticing the difference is grossly exaggerated: the difference is significant: It is as if the leading tunes eat into the sounds that are not in the foreground - I find that there are 'dips' in the background music lines, whereas on decent playback systems, all music lines are autonomous; not affected by other sounds played at the same time. MP3s also combines lower frequency left and right channels on the assumption that the lower tones don't contain directional info - the same theory that Bose uses to market small speakers with a single bass box that's supposed to be hidden behind a couch. Well, the stereo image of MP3 is affected, for which the mono lower frequencies contribute. But with 90% reduction in file size, the results are remarkably good and Emma does a great job in reproducing vast CD collections from such a small box. If you don't believe that the differences between CD and MP3 are significant, you're invited and I'll demonstrate on my home system: It 'll tell you know how well CD's can sound. MP3 are no comparison for serious listening.

I agree with you that the differences are only distinguishable at home: the car is such a bad listening environment (shape / size / speaker placement / speaker quality / electrical noise) that the differences are probably hardly noticeable even if one were able to eliminate engine and traffic noise (even tanstaaf may agree . . . do you Doug?). Also, the amps and the speakers are much less refined than at home. So if you'd play Emma in the car only, normal compression may well suffice. But as a somewhat of an audiophile I believe that higher quality should be up the chain in any audio chain: amp should be better than speakers - pre-amp better than amp etc. so I don't mind to have 10% larger MP3s that sound a tiny bit better. Moreover, I also use Emma at home: it provides very decent background music and when played over the home stereo system, the better quality of normal/high encoding clearly shows.

But for close listening, nothing beats a properly mastered CD played on a good system (yet?) - There is so much potential left, that I doubt if DVD (or whatever) can improve on it, as longs as the basic technology (high sampled wav) remains unchanged. I can recommend to carefully listen to a good stereo set-up and then try to find a system that you can afford that sounds like it. Well recorded MP3s then prove worthwhile.

Henno
# 00120 (6GB+18)