Oooohh....Nice! I've never used Terminal services before but do have Windows 2000 Server (I believe the program is there... I just did a quick search in help) here at the office so I'll have to look into it. It would actually be beneficial to learn how Terminal Services works in the office environment as well as at home. Any thing in particular I should "know" before getting into Terminal services?

First thing to know, the server side of Terminal Services only works on the server version of Win2k, it doesn't work on Professional. On WinXP you have a dumbed down version of it called Remote Desktop (dumbed down in that only one user can connect at a time and when they are connected no-one can use the machine you are connecting to locally).

Edit: Actually, at first glance it looks like Terminal Service could be a bit complicated.

If you are using in in the Application Server mode (lots of users connecting to a single server to run Word, Excel etc) then yes it gets complicated. In your case you don't want to do this because:

- you need licences to run in Application Server mode
- you don't need lots of people connecting

You can just run in Remote Adminstration mode, which allows two simultaneous connections at a time. There is nothing special you need to do in Remote Administration mode (whereas in Application Server mode when you install new software you need to jump through hoops to install the software a special way).

To install Terminal Services on a box that does have them already go to "Control Panel", "Add/Remove Programs", "Add/Remove Windows components". Find the terminal services entry and check it, don't check the terminal services licencing entry. When you hit next you will be asked which mode to operate in.

Then that's it, you're good to go. Just connect to the machine with the Terminal Services client (or if you have it the new, improved Remote Desktop connection).