Greetings!

The difference in reaction is somewhat understandable. 9/11 was an extremely sudden, psychological shock to many people. No warning, the massive destruction (but not on the scale of an entire city) against a civilian target by people that hated ordinary US citizens enough to fly planes into buildings, etc. The shock became a symbol, a rallying cry for politicians from all parties, repeated to the point of insanity by the media. I would think it equivalent to "Remember Pearl Harbor" in terms of the psychological effects. You will note that, unless you know someone or live near the Pentagon, that it is always the WTC that brings the reaction / gets the attention as well.

The scope of devastation in NO (and to other cities along the entire coastline) is extreme. But this event is missing a number of elements that make it such a psychological shock to people. It was cause by a force of nature, it was slow to happen (a longer build up in the media and a slow motion event instead of three seconds of "impact footage"), many people had time to evacuate and it is regional in an area at extremely high risk for such an event (kind of like "The Big One" in California). It will not leave the emotional scarring on most of the nation that 9/11 did. It will be in memory for a long time, but not with the reflex reaction that 9/11 brings.

Now, this makes the event no less horrific, especially for those that live through it, the number of people killed / injured by it, or those that help others to recover from it (i.e., rescue workers, medical staff, police, national guard, etc.). The slow unfolding of events that other parts of the nation lose focus with is part of the severe damage done to those people. The creeping / unstoppable rise of flood waters, probably in the dark (no power / night), the calls for help, being stranded on rooftops, no available food or water, all over a prolonged period of time with little relief. Those who evacuated are lucky not to be in the middle of it, but even they are left wondering what (if anything) is left after all this, if their friends and neighbors are even alive and the question "what next".

There will be a huge economic toll. And I am sure that there will be an outpouring of aid from companies and people in general to help. Perhaps I am just a bit cynical, but it will not be (never be) enough to make the city whole again. But at least it is a start. I am not sure how people will recover psychologically, but most will - eventually. Given time. Financially, well, I do not know.

As for the looting / widescreen TV example. I would not doubt that shock is part of that. Without electricity or broadcasting (I am sure that most local stations were being sent from the city), it is not all that useful. But it is an illusion of normal life - something the thief always wanted... Who knows...