Quote:
Quote:
So maybe you should get a Infiniti G35
This is what my wife wants me to get- used, obviously, since I can't afford to get one new.

You can get a brand new G35 coupe for $34K MSRP.
In fact, their factory lease offer this month is: $329.00 per mo. with $3754.00 due at Signing

You should also investigate the Nissan 350Z since it is basically the same car and occasionally cheaper.

If you are set on a convertible, a new convertible BMW 3-series or Mercedes SLK350 are just barely outside your range, but a coupe 3-series might sneak under the line.

No point in buying Audi unless you get Quattro (AWD).
That means a NEW TT (Quattro) is slightly outside your range, but a new A4 Turbo is not.

If you're not set on "new", a used BMW M3 (E46) will rock your world for under $35K.
I would recommend looking at one. Around here you can't swing a <insert colorful metaphor> without hitting one. So people are willing to deal.

[I just remembered you moved to Atlanta. But I believe the following regional comments still hold, though Atlanta might have a somewhat more robust used BMW market than San Antonio.]

Although, ISTR the market in San Antone is quite a bit different so you might not be able to haggle as sweet a deal on a slightly-used BMW.

On the other hand, a used M3 in Alamo-town is less likely to have seen serious track time than one around here.

On the gripping hand, you're more likely to get some spiffy Dinan go-fast parts already installed by the previous owner in this region.

Also, I think M3's only come in SMG or Manual transmission. So if Automatic is a must, M3's are probably out.

Otherwise, I'd go test drive in this order: Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, Nissan 350Z, Infiniti G35, Audi {TT Quattro, A4 2.0Turbo Quattro}, BMW coupe, new Mustang convertible.(*)

Each car, costing slightly more than the one before, ought to be more appealing than the one before. If not, throw it right out. Then at the end, you drive your tried and true favorite, the Mustang, last. That way you can mentally compare it against everything else.

At that point your're ready to immediately purchase the Mustang, or you're ready to immediately rule it out and go re-check your two favorites.

(*)Throw in a used Toyota MR2, a new Honda S2000, any other car from your short list that I forgot, and season to taste.

In closing, I think the Aux In is not a deal-killer.
I know BMW dealers used to offer iPod integration, and the instructions and know-how are still out there even thought I think the dealers no longer do this.
Similarly, check the G35 (or whatever) forums and I bet you can find a standard AuxIn solution for $200 or less for pretty much every car.

VW has tried to make a REALLY BIG DEAL about the fact that they have a stupid audio-in jack in their dash, so that might mean that Audi offers it standard now as well (I'm just speculating though).