Quote:
Then I figured maybe someone here might have some thoughts about what is available in my price range. So any thoughts? I don't really need a family car, but I'm not stuck on a sports car either. I just want something fun to drive if I'm going to spent 2.5 hours in it every day.

I was going to stay out of this one, but I just can't stand it any more.

Jeff, you need to take the larger view, not focus on immediate gratification.

First, If you want a car that's "fun to drive" you couldn't do better than the Lotus Elise. And after about two weeks you'd be taking the bus to work instead of driving, because "fun to drive" does not translate into enjoyable to commute in. It's noisy, harsh riding, cramped, no a/c... but boy, is it ever fun to drive.

The amount of time you will spend in a car in "fun to drive" mode is insignificant compared to the amount of time you will be using the car for transportation. You need to buy a car that is first of all enjoyable to be in, and then start narrowing the field by fun to drive criteria.

Second, unless you are quite wealthy, don't even consider buying a new car. The idea of throwing away $4,000 or more in depreciation the moment you sign the papers is ludicrous. Now, maybe the idea of having a brand new, never been owned before car is really important to you, and worth the money. In that case, go for it. But if fiscal sanity is any part of the equation, do consider the used market.

Getting back to the first point... just remember that you will seldom be in a situation where you can utilize the amazing performance of something like a WRX or other high performance car, and the penalties you pay in enjoyability the remaining 98% of the time are scant compensation for those few "fun to drive" moments that you have.

My recommendation? Buy a used Lexus or Infiniti or Mercedes -- some nice luxury car that may be a little bit less "fun to drive" but more enjoyable to be in. You know -- quiet, good air conditioning, responsive handling, adequate power, smooth ride, good sound system. Then, with the money you saved by buying the car used, buy yourself a toy -- a used Miata or some similar "fun" car. You'll have the best of both worlds.

But, what do I know? I drive around in a 14 year old Ford station wagon...

tanstaafl.