Part of the reason I want this is that I'm totally amazed that laptop resolutions are relatively lower now than they were like 5 years ago. Yeah, they're all widescreeny, but who the fuck cares about that? Okay, people who watch a lot of movies on their computers, but what about business users?

Case in point: My office is full of IBM ThinkPad T4x laptops. They have 14.1" 1400x1050 screens and weigh under five pounds. In order to get a screen of the same height, you now have to get a 15.4" screen, which increases the size of the laptop dramatically, and I don't think you can find one that weighs less than almost six pounds.

And, yes, (at least) for business use, height is the important screen dimension. If you're coding, you want to fit more lines on the screen, not make the lines longer. If you're working with a word processor, you want as much of the (almost always) portrait-oriented page on screen as possible. There's nothing inherently wrong with making the screen wider, but it makes laptops bigger and heavier, while either reducing the height or, at best, leaving it the same.

Also, having docking stations be a requirement helps narrow things down quite a bit, too. There are only four vendors I'm aware of that provide them, and one of them is Sony, and if I wanted the kind of support I would get from Sony, I'd just buy a different brand and then dial random digits on the phone. In fact, I'd probably be better off. I figure there's a greater chance of a randomly dialed person being able to help with my issue than there is of a Sony "support" person being able to. Heck, a "this number is not in service" recording probably would be more help.

(The others being Dell, Lenovo, and HP/Compaq, BTW. Let me know if you're aware of others.)