Yeah, sorry. The T4x laptops are 14.1" 1400x1050.

Let's assume your scenario, that I'm interested in 1400 pixel width and would like it smaller. In order to get the closest equivalent, I have to go with 1440x900, which is available, at its smallest, in a 15.4" screen. (Correct me if you can find a smaller screen with a similar resolution. Please. I want to know about it.)

Using some basic trigonometry (and assuming the pixels are square), you can discover that the dimensions of those screens are 11.28"x8.46" and 13.06"x8.16". So it actually is shorter. That said, with the T41p and T61 I have at my desk, while the actual LCD panel is shorter, the lid is exactly the same height. Why? Because they can't (or won't) reduce the depth of the main body where the keyboard is, and the lid has to have the same dimension.

But the DPI is significantly lower with the widescreen one: 110DPI vs 124DPI. There are also almost 12% fewer pixels.

Factor into this the extra weight that the widescreen laptops inevitably seem to have (I don't know what to blame this on), and it's just not worth it.