Originally Posted By: andy
At the high end some do, the HP Envy 14 does 2 and the 17 does 3. There aren't many others.

Interesting. The HP Envy 17 is using the Eyefinity tech to do 3 monitors. The downside seems to be the hodgepodge of connectors needed. You have to have 3 monitors, with one hooked in via VGA, one via HDMI (or adapted to DVI) and one via Mini DisplayPort. If you don't have a DisplayPort monitor, that mDP port will need an active adaptor to convert to VGA or DVI.

Looks like this has advanced a lot in the past few years, likely due to the rise of notebooks as desktop replacements. I exited the PC space completely around the time this started happening. My "Desktop Replacement" had real desktop parts in it, including a hot running P4 (not the mobile kind) and a video card derived from the desktop Radeon x800. It was one of the only Dell consumer laptops that would drive two monitors.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
In any machine released today, I don't really want anything less than dual high-bandwidth (dual-link DVI class for example) output, so I really hope to see that in a forthcoming MBP.

If one of your displays is a high density 27" the other one may as well be too.

The current place I work at hands out dual 30 inch displays standard. Some people end up asking for smaller monitors. I personally have one iMac 27 and one Dell 30, and if I sit directly in front of the iMac, there is a dead space on the far end of the 30 where I can't put anything text, as it becomes annoying to read. Never thought I'd say I have too much desktop space.