Originally Posted By: drakino
Google Play is gaining the ability for developers to publish alpha and beta builds through the service.

This is going to make devs thrilled. At the moment, a few of the apps I use have beta versions, but they have to be listed as separate apps in the App Market.

Quote:
Google APIs are being moved more out of the Android OS later, and more as components updated via Google Play. It's kinda sad to see this being necessary, but clearly their past attempts to get OS updates out quickly to all Android users have failed. I hope they continue to try and improve that situation, but at least updating APIs will help developers greatly.

Sadly, I don't think there's much they can do! They've tried, but it's hard to fight the Galaxy line, and these manufacturers continue to be so arrogant as to think that it's their software that makes people choose their phones. I've NEVER seen a good manufacturer skin. Hell, I've never even seen one that didn't make me want to throw the phone on the floor. I don't know how Google can fight this tide, but at least they can work to get those phones more updated.

(sorry to go negative, but I don't think there are many people on the "I love TouchWiz/SenseUI" side of the fight)

Quote:
Gaming wise, centralized matchmaking, achievements and such are coming.

There is no conceivable way that I could be less interested in achievements, leaderboards, and matchmaking. Those things hold absolutely zero interest for me. However, what makes me super excited about Play Game Services is save state sharing. This is something I've always been shocked that I didn't see from the developers themselves. The #1 thing that makes me hate wiping my phone is that I'll lose all progress I made in my games, so the faster devs get this into their apps the better.

Quote:
Google will be selling a Nexus like version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 soon, though I question the commitment to solid updates after what happened with the Nexus S.

Were the problems with actual Google-sold Nexus S's? Or were they with models sold by the manufacturer? Sorry, I never really followed that model much. I don't have much doubt that Google will update this phone. They've always done so (as far as I can remember) for phones sold in their online store. The whole "no Verizon" thing should help like you said, though.

Quote:
Google wants better video standards to lower their bandwidth bill for YouTube.

I thought peering arrangements meant they basically don't pay for Youtube...

Originally Posted By: tonyc
One of the more interesting announcements to me is Google Music All Access, which appears to be Google's answer to Spotify and Pandora. So far it looks pretty nice. Being able to tweak/reorder/delete items from the radio playlist is great, and the unified interface for both collection-based listening and radio-style listening is a big deal for me. I'll probably cancel my Pandora subscription when it comes up for renewal -- even though Pandora's cheaper, you just can't beat seamlessly switching between listening to your library and listening radio style.

Even though I've been an rdio user for over a year, I signed up for All Access. The primary appeal for me is what you were saying, Tony, that I could now have my subscription music mixed in with my personal collection. It's the best of both worlds. I can create my own playlist, and mix songs from my subscription library with the Beatles and Zeppelin. So far, when I've been driving around I've been extremely displeased with the streaming connection, but they just released this specific service and they might be a little overloaded right now. All I know is that I had to restart my playlist several times on my 50 minute round trip car ride. This never happens to me on rdio.

I thought Larry Page's comments at the end of the show were fantastic. Very hopeful, and frankly you don't have to agree with what the company is doing to agree he's at least saying all the right things. I liked his urging to promote technology with the younger generations (although I highly doubt that The Internship is the way to do it - that movie looks terrible).

As for other news from the keynote, the biggest thing I got excited for was easy: SYNCED NOTIFICATIONS!!! Dear lord, how excited am I for that!? It's weirdly annoying to go to my tablet at night and see all the calendar notifications that I'd been addressing on my phone all day.

I was also very intrigued by the desktop voice search. I'll admit, it's a little weird that my browser is going to listen to everything that I say, listening for me to speak the magic words to it, but I do like the technology smile

I liked the Google+ signon stuff. The demo they did where you sign up for a sight with your Google account, install the app, and the app automatically installs and already has you signed in on your mobile device - that was neat.

I'll think of other things to talk about, but it was a super long keynote and it's getting late. Overall, I liked the things they announced, and I'd have to imagine that developers liked the show.