Originally Posted By: Dignan
Sadly, I don't think there's much they can do! They've tried, but it's hard to fight the Galaxy line, and these manufacturers continue to be so arrogant as to think that it's their software that makes people choose their phones. I've NEVER seen a good manufacturer skin. Hell, I've never even seen one that didn't make me want to throw the phone on the floor. I don't know how Google can fight this tide, but at least they can work to get those phones more updated.

I'm personally fine with the custom skins being options out there, the underlying problem of the OS not seeing updates is the issue for me. API updates are good for the development community, but lack of OS updates means security holes can still persist for ages. Microsoft seems to handle the multiple devices update issue better then Google with Windows Phone. I was hoping Google would try and move in that direction going forward, but it doesn't appear so. Facebook Home provided an good glimpse into the ability to reskin the phone without having to have the deep OS hooks. The pieces are there to act on.

Quote:
Were the problems with actual Google-sold Nexus S's? Or were they with models sold by the manufacturer?

Oops, I meant Galaxy Nexus. Keeping track of Android phone names is a PITA, especially when some don't even bother to put their name on it. I still forget the name of my work assigned android phone frequently.

Quote:
I thought peering arrangements meant they basically don't pay for Youtube...

I'm just going off what they claimed in the keynote. And from experience, peering agreements can and frequently do change daily. Routing internet traffic is big business these days, complete with all the greed that can and frequently does make routes worse for a while as "punishment".