Originally Posted By: tfabris
I think that this VW thing is probably getting blown way out of proportion by the news. They seem to be singling out VW as some evil company who deliberately falsified emissions on the cars. I'm not sure it's that clear-cut. From what I could gather from the news articles, VW's chairman stepped up, apologized, and said they will work to fix it, which I think is good. But I'm not sure he even needed to go that far.

Originally Posted By: Volkswagen
Discrepancies relate to vehicles with Type EA 189 engines, involving some eleven million vehicles worldwide. A noticeable deviation between bench test results and actual road use was established solely for this type of engine. Volkswagen is working intensely to eliminate these deviations through technical measures. The company is therefore in contact with the relevant authorities and the German Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA – Kraftfahrtbundesamt).

Once 3rd parties started publishing their findings, VW themselves did the right thing and admitted to this wrongdoing as part of their commitment to correcting it alongside authorities. Whistleblowers are emerging into the public space indicating these "deviations" were something the supplier Bosch had warned against dating back to 2007.

The CEO/Charman also stepped down over this.