Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#249114 - 15/02/2005 22:26 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: loren]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
Just like American Dad. Did any of you in the US catch that preview after the Superbowl? It's like Seth MacFarlane was handed a check to do whatever he wanted and thought... "Damn, who can I piss off most with this opportunity?" knowing full well it'd crash and burn. I also find it amusing that the most conservative bashing cartoon ever is airing on what is supposed to be the most right slanted news network.

The Fox Network is not a news channel. Fox News Channel and the Fox Network have nothing in common with each other except for ownership (and one Sunday news program). And I know people will disagree with me, but just because FNC is the most "right leaning" doesn't mean that it is very far right of center. It just means that most other news outlets are more left of center in my (and many other's) opinion. But, it's all subjective so it's hard to really prove. But more importantly, it's politics and I'd rather not drag this thread down that road!

Yet, as a conservative, I really like the American Dad pilot. I have no problem laughing at myself or "my side" and I thought it was pretty good. The alien character needs to be killed off though. From what I read, Seth started work on this show long before the Family Guy became a DVD sales and Cartoon Network success. He basically thought that Family Guy was gone forever and wanted to further "tweak" the concept to try again. Suddenly, Family Guy DVD sales were through the roof and was being brought back and the next thing he knew he had two shows on his hands. I think this explains why the shows are SO similar - they were never meant to be on at the same time. I was a little bummed out at the lack of creativity however. The "American Dad" character is a lot like the Family Guy's police officer neighbor. His daughter is too much like a grown Lisa Simpson (and the politics in family thing was done in Family Ties to death). I don't know. Maybe I just starving so bad for some new Family Guy episodes that this show seemed better than it was! But I can't see Family Guy and American Dad surviving at the same time.

#249115 - 15/02/2005 22:37 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I can't believe you liked American Dad, and not because you're conservative. There was next to nothing that was funny in that show. It was horrible. No adjustments can be made, it's simple a bad concept and poorly executed.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the complete dumbasses at Fox are considering shelving Arrested Development to make way for more episodes of American Dad!! WTF???

#249116 - 15/02/2005 23:10 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Ah, that explains it Brad. Thanks for clearing that up. It had a couple of funny moments but it just felt like it was trying way too hard to poke fun at conservatism/whateveryouwannacallit. It's just too overt for me I guess. And I agree... there's no way they'll both stay on at the same time. AD might have a chance on another network though.

#249117 - 16/02/2005 00:34 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: Dignan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

From interviews I've heard with Arrested Development people, they are cutting the # of episodes to make room for American Idol - not American Dad.

Like I said, I probably just liked it because I love Family Guy so much and it was a temporary fix... the sad part is that from Seth's interviews, he's been working on that show for a long long time. To be honest, I'm more afraid that the magic will be gone from Family Guy once they try to start that up again.

#249118 - 16/02/2005 01:21 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
loren
carpal tunnel

Quote:
To be honest, I'm more afraid that the magic will be gone from Family Guy once they try to start that up again.

BLASPHEMER!

#249119 - 16/02/2005 01:35 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: loren]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I'm still hurting from what they did to Ren & Stimpy.

#249120 - 16/02/2005 02:56 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
You are referring to the god awful Spike TV version of Ren and Stimpy right. Whoever came up with that one should be strung up.

Matt

#249121 - 16/02/2005 03:14 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
they are cutting the # of episodes to make room for American Idol - not American Dad.

Are you sure they weren't just joking about American Idol? I mean, that show was around before Arrested Development, and isn't even on the same night. I don't see how the two could possibly be in competition. That doesn't make sense. American Idol doesn't need room, it's already there. American Dad doesn't technically have a time slot.

The only thing I can agree on with your assessment of American Dad is that it is very sad that he was working on it for so long. No matter how much I anticipate Family Guy returning, I still hated that episode.

Oh, and I just want to say one more time: Carnivale is the best looking show I have ever seen on television. I just saw last Sunday's show and waiting to see the next episode is tough.

#249122 - 16/02/2005 03:14 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

But the new Ren and Stimpy had nothing to do with the original series creator, did it? That doesn't count, in that case.

#249123 - 16/02/2005 06:07 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: Dignan]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Quote:
But the new Ren and Stimpy had nothing to do with the original series creator, did it?

Actually, the new one has everything to do with the original creator, John Kricfalusi. John K. was ousted from the original series after a couple of seasons, and this marks his return to the characters.

Everyone who ever asserted that John K. was the true genius behind Ren & Stimpy and that the cartoon was much worse in his absence must be having a really tough time explaining how these new cartoons could be so awful.

#249124 - 16/02/2005 06:51 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: msaeger]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Now - there I'd have to disagree. I thought Ren and Stimpy were hilarious and was very disappointed when they canned the series. Nothing can match the Nerve-Ending Fairy for pure gut-wrenching shudder factor
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#249125 - 16/02/2005 12:17 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: adavidw]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Actually, the new one has everything to do with the original creator

Oh okay, I must have had it backwards. Was he there for Space Madness? If not, then I think the series was better off without him.

#249126 - 16/02/2005 12:18 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: frog51]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Are you referring to the original on nick/MTV or the remake on Spike TV ?

Matt

#249127 - 16/02/2005 12:20 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: adavidw]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I thought Bob Camp was the one that got ousted ?

Matt

#249128 - 16/02/2005 12:25 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I finally got a TiVO last month. The reason I did was for Battlestar Galactica. I saw '33' and it had me hooked (missed the two hour episode, finally saw it Saturday).

The shows I record, or plan to are:

Chicago Blackhawks/Phoenix Coyotes games: The only reason I turned the TV on in the last 4 or so years has been for hockey. If Goodenow and Bettman ever pull their heads out, we can get on with the sport. It will seriously suck if I miss next year's All Star Game because it was cancelled.

Battlestar Galactica: Just an abusdly awesome series. They did a great job with everything - notably casting, writing, and CGI. The fact that I am missing 'Water' and the two-hour episode is enough to bring tears to my eyes.

Maximum Exposure: There is just something theraputic about watching stupid people hurt themselves. Honestly, any series with an episode titled 'Stupid Morons: A Celebration of Life' and has a guy quoted as saying 'Death is death, and life is goodness' just has to be good.

- Tim

#249129 - 16/02/2005 13:00 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: Tim]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
The fact that I am missing 'Water' and the two-hour episode is enough to bring tears to my eyes.

By "Two-hour episode", do you mean the miniseries pilot? (Where they got all the clips for the credits sequence.)

If so, you're in luck.

If you mean something else, then damnit, I haven't seen it either and really need to.

#249130 - 16/02/2005 16:07 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Nope, just checked the episode guide.

There was the four-hour miniseries (shown in two parts), that's the thing you can get on DVD. Then there were the one-hour episodes, starting with "33", "Water", and "Bastille Day".

Phew. Glad I hadn't missed anything.

#249131 - 16/02/2005 17:04 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: Tim]
loren
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It will seriously suck if I miss next year's All Star Game because it was cancelled.

D'oh

#249132 - 16/02/2005 17:24 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I was just told about that as well. SIGH.

#249133 - 16/02/2005 17:35 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

All of Detroit is wearing black today.

#249134 - 16/02/2005 17:40 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: tfabris]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Yeah, I meant the pilot. I didn't know a new series was coming out until a couple days before '33' aired. Blockbuster had the pilot, so we saw it this weekend, and assuming that since it was on DVD, I ordered it and am eagerly awaiting its arrival

#249135 - 16/02/2005 19:42 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: loren]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
[nelson] haha [/nelson]

What kind of "season" would it be if it were to start now anyway? I'm glad it's not starting up late. Might as well start fresh next season. If you enjoy (NHL) hockey, just keep your fingers crossed that it won't be a write-off next season either.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other as I don't watch sports on TV - even hockey, which is (by far) the best team sport on television (there shall be no arguments acceptable here - basketball and football are but a a speckle of dust in the far corner of the long shadow of hockey, roughly the equivalent of bowling, curling or baseball).

Bruno

#249136 - 16/02/2005 19:56 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

No argument from me.

#249137 - 16/02/2005 22:47 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: tfabris]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Jumping in late to this thread...

Battlestar Gallactica: I'm really enjoying this show for all the same reasons cited by others here and elsewhere. I noticed that they're reairing the pilot on BravoHD soon, so I programmed the TiVo to grab it. Normally, I don't go back and rewatch things like this, but, well, to see BG in full HD glory... that's worth watching it again. I'm just hoping that BravoHD carries the rest of the episodes; it will really benefit from the HD treatment.

Alias: I'm still crunching my way through the season 1 DVDs and loving it. I also started watching the current season and I concur with the "one happy family going out on missions" comments. It just doesn't have any of the tension of the first season, where you don't really know who you're supposed to trust and you really feel that Sidney has no way she's going to get out of this predicament. The new opening credits also now tell the story. Watch this show so you can see our stunning lead actress dress differently every week!

Carnivale: One of my favorite shows. I also concur with Bitt's comment that it's just like a DC Vertigo comic. It's gritty. It's dreamy. Every character, however minor, has a complex back-story that is slowly, slowly being revealed. The story weaves in and out with the actual history of the Great Depression in an almost believable fashion. (Trying to stay spoiler free, but...) we also have this epic good-vs-evil tension, where neither character fits the archetypical role in the way you'd see in a more traditional story. And, again, we don't really know the full nature of what makes the good character good and the evil character evil. We (and the characters themselves) have only seen glimpses of their power. And, Carnivale is just stunningly beautiful in HD.

Entourage: Another great HBO show, following the only barely fictionalized story of a recent Hollywood star (Mark Wahlburg) and his New Jersey buddies who he dragged along to be his "posse". HBO's supposed to be working on a second season. I can't wait.

Iron Chef America: I was sucked into the original Japanese version, and I also love Alton Brown's Good Eats. This has both of them together. Works great for me.

24: I've watched this completely out of order. I watched the second season live and really got into it. Then I got the first-season DVDs and puttered out about half-way through. Likewise, I started watching the third season and it just wasn't doing much for me, so I gave up on it. Now, I'm watching the current (fourth) season and it's got me hooked again (and, likewise, wondering how all the people got shuffled around to their current positions).

Frontline / Nova / Nature: I'm a sucker for good PBS shows, and they rock in HD.

My wife is mostly enamored of the Law & Order series, the CSI series, and some other closely related clones (Cold Case, Missing Person, etc.). These just don't really cut it for me. I particularly hate the often abrupt and unsatisfying endings.

#249138 - 16/02/2005 23:13 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: DWallach]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Battlestar Gallactica: I'm really enjoying this show for all the same reasons cited by others here and elsewhere. I noticed that they're reairing the pilot on BravoHD soon, so I programmed the TiVo to grab it. Normally, I don't go back and rewatch things like this, but, well, to see BG in full HD glory... that's worth watching it again. I'm just hoping that BravoHD carries the rest of the episodes; it will really benefit from the HD treatment.

Universal HD is also going to air the pilot starting Sunday for those that subscribe to Voom or DirecTV HDTV. They are also working on securing HD rights to several USA/SciFi shows, with Monk being the first series to come over.

#249139 - 16/02/2005 23:27 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

BravoHD and Universal HD are the same thing, as far as I know.

#249140 - 16/02/2005 23:50 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

I've added Carnivale to my Netflix queue due to all the recommendations. I don't get HBO so I've missed out on some of the best stuff over the past two years apparently. Looking forward to it!

That reminds me of another show my buddy just showed me ... The Wire. If I had HBO that'd definitely be on my Tivo Season Pass list. Good stuff.

#249141 - 17/02/2005 00:15 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: loren]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Last season I enjoyed the Shield on FX. Not your typical cop drama.

#249142 - 17/02/2005 00:38 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
Battlestar Gallactica: ... I noticed that they're reairing the pilot on BravoHD soon

Excellent. I kinda forgot about it and missed it. I should set it up to get the remaining eps and hope that BravoHD does them all.

#249143 - 17/02/2005 01:33 Re: Our Favorite TV Shows. [Re: DWallach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Every episode of this season's Alias is starting to feel exactly the same. It just seems like their painting by numbers, using a cookie-cutter, etc. Next week Sark is back, so here's hoping something interesting comes from it. I forgot to mention the super-annoying title sequence. The title sequence in past seasons didn't come at the same point in the episode every time. Sometimes they had a very quick sequence in fact. This year it's always exactly the same, come on just about at the same minute-mark each episode, it shows nothing but Jennifer Garner is different costumes, is long, goes to commercial when it's done. I actually prefer shows not to have a title sequence used for credits, like Lost and and 24. Just put the credits softly over the live show after the first commercial break and don't spend time on a title sequence that's exactly the same every week.

Last year I was puzzled (amazed, stupified) that they made Dixon the chief. This year they've gone and done the only possible worse thing - put Sloan in charge. That's just about the weakest, most stupid and most unimaginative thing they could do.

Tonight's episode was a perfect example of the double-date missions we're sure to see for the rest of the season.

Bruno

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >