In Atlanta, all the speed limits within city limits are 55 mph. Of course, average speed is going to be 75-85. If they nail you going 25 miles over, you can lose your license and get a whopping fine. Since everyone is breaking the law all the time, they can pull anybody over any of the time and there is nothing you can do about it; you better just pray that the cops don't hate you.

Most of the speeding tickets that are given out around here are invalid. As I have had it explained to me (I haven't yet had a need to double-check my information):

1. You can be pulled over by the highway patrol for going 1 mph over the speed limit.
2. You can't be pulled over by local police (with radar gun) unless you are going 4 mph or 10% over the speed limit, whichever is greater.
3. All radar traps and most stops must be done in marked cars.
4. The road needs to have less than a 3% grade where you get zapped, so no steep slopes.
5. You need to be able to see the police officer visibly on the side of the road at least 100 yards away, so only straight roads.

Again, this is in Georgia and I haven't had to double-check any of these yet (crosses fingers). I'm also really not sure exactly which of these apply to state troopers and which to local cops. Several of my friends have gotten graders to come out to the side of the road to contest and beat tickets. Also, most police officers have no idea how a radar gun works and may be using them improperly or uncalibrated. I've found the best thing to do is just to set cruise control at the speed limit. Going a few miles over really doesn't get you there any faster and going drastically over is just asking for trouble.

-Biscuits