My parents recently redid their bathroom. We have a 5 gallon toilet that we love that was manufactured in 1949 and still in "mint" condition.

When we removed the toilet to replace the florring with new ceramic tile, we noticed (besides the smell) is that the flange was busted. We had the plumber come and replace the flange and then we went looking for another toilet.

The toilets out there are only 1.6 gallons and therefore would not suit our needs. What you have to realize is that there are 7 people that use this toilet including 6 men daily.

We ended up having the plumber just reinstall the 5 gallon toilet because it still worked and we didn't have to spend $200 dollars on a new toilet.

I know that toilets are less expensive than that but the Pressure Assisted ones are in that range. If we were going to get a new toilet, it would have been a pressure assisted one because it uses air pressure to push the water out of the tank and provides more pressure per gallon allowing for fewer flushes on the government regulated 1.6 gallons.

If you are looking into new toilets, take a look at the pressure assisted ones. We did notice that they only come with a 5-year warranty which makes me worry because it has additional proprietary parts not found in other toilets.