Hmm really hard to tell, as lightness is so hard to compare by us silly humans ( and i don't have a measurement device )
But if there is'nt a level in between 100% okay and the "even hard to read at nigth" faulty displays that rob mentions, mine should be okay, a comparison that i can find:
The display in my Mk2 WITHOUT any filter faceplate is about as bright as my Mk1 with green AR filter ...

( so the plasma itself might be a bit dimmer )

But:
I see the main problem in the CONTRAST not in the brightness ...
( example, if you remove the green filter from the mk1 the display is harder to read in sunlight then before, even if it is brighter )

AND as a followup thought to this, the conrast is influenced by:

-1- The outside light conditions -> the more sun the worse display contrast

-2- The arrangement and total "shine-through" area of the car's windows ( or even worse like in my convertible -> having no roof at all )

-3- The display itself, so the combo of plasma display with filter glass, which surely IS worse in the Mk2 compared to the Mk1 right now.

-4- The angle in which the empeg resides in the car, in my car it looks up 20 degrees ( VERY approx ) if i could make it "look deeper" then it wouldn't be half the trouble ( but i can't ).

So you shouldn't wonder too much if different people report different problem levels or no problems at all ...
For some the readability might be 100% equal to the Mk1, but with having a clearer display it might look even more crispy then on the Mk1 ...

So i think those 4 parameters above are enough to produce this confusion, i hope my display isn't defective, but if robs assumption about " the display is okay or THAT dim that everyone would notice its broken" is valid, mine seems to be okay.

Nils

P.S. and then don't forget about different priorities that people see the problem.
Some maybe have problems reading the display 20% of all times, but simply don't care, others can't read it 10% of all time, but it drives them crazy, don't forget, we all have our different behaviours...