Wow, everyone that's taken an interest in my player (on this thread at least) has seemingly taken Squash as some sort of hostile play, or at least some sort of arrogant attempt.

I don't have anything against the native player. I just like to listen to music alot differently than most people (it seems). So not being able to pick individual songs -really- and -honestly- doesn't seem like a big deal to -me-. I understand others that would, but with regards to my personal taste, it doesn't show up on my radar.

Squash was meant to help manage your music for you in a automatic way. When you have more than even 3,000 songs (and I'm on my way to almost 20,000) it is, at least to me, a pain in the butt to try to create playlists and pick what you want to listen to.

But anyway, I didn't expect so much aggression. And the lockups I mention are from the threaded design, which is probably an incapacity of my part, but the threads are a real B-word. That's why I'm going to tear down that scaffolding and try what I believe to be a more managable approach that will rely alot less on threads.

I hope people can at least take some of my -good- ideas and use them to make things better for them. If that means actually running my rickety player, great. If it means they get integrated in the mainstream player, probably even better! But at the least, I would think I'm not -hurting- people/things by having an alternative. The mood in this thread makes me think so.

And the only other point I'd like to mention is that I would hope no one expects me to make a player anything of the quality you find in the main player. Do I look like a professional -team- of systems architects and kernel hackers? Nope, I'm just a single, simple programmer. Squash is one of the largest projects I've ever made, and there is only so much a single person can write. But anyway, I hope someone will enjoy it, if not, I will at least. So I guess a good raspberry to those that don't like me:

Of course, I may just be paranoid, it's always easy to get the wrong impressions over written media. So let's give peas a chance .

-Adam Luter (Gryn)