Quote:
I think that the author didn't received the attention he deserved (his work is pretty brillant).

If you ask me, it was a matter of presentation. Not just presentation of the app, but the way it was "marketed" to the empeg community. Before it was posted here, I had gotten a few alpha/beta releases of Squash to try out, and it seemed like he may be onto something pretty neat. However, the UI was very bare-bones, and there was no interface at all to construct your own playlist or do anything except let the played/skipped algorithm do its magic. Also, like emphatic's song rating feature, the true benefits of his shuffle algorithm aren't noticed until you've played through a significant portion of your collection (not that I'm comparing the features in terms of novelty, his is certainly the more interesting approach.)

Anyway, in email conversations with gryng, I mentioned that he should give it a bit more "window dressing" and maybe add a few conventional player features before he released it to the general public... But at some point, I guess he just felt like the time was right, and when it was released, as this thread shows, it fell on mostly deaf ears. Not to mention the fact that he unintentionally took a few shots at the empeg player, which got people riled up.

Ultimately, I am certain at least parts of the Squash code have some serious potential, and I'm sure he didn't mean to piss anyone off when he released it. Unfortunately, he did, and he presumably got too busy with school to come back to Squash, and/or got angry at the cold reception here. In any event, the code is right there for us in CVS, so if we really want to take a stab at a replacement player, we've got yet another weapon at our disposal.