It took me too long to get around to it but here's the results of a couple afternoons playing around.

I first tried making button caps out of PMC3 silvery clay but when they're fired they shrink about 20% so that didn't work out as planned. (top left pic) The I tried aluminum embossing foil to make a button cap that would allow light through the side but not the center. (lower left pic). It was too fragile but captured the idea of what I'd like to have in a button cap so I may revisit the idea with some PMC. I'd like to have button cage that matches the wheels on my car.

The last try was based on the idea of embedding fiber optic rod in the knob. (pics right) I drilled out the knob "bumps", inserted pieces of fiber rod, glued them in with white hot glue, and ground down the rod sticking out the front followed by sanding and polishing. I was pleased with how well the polycarbonate sands. I'd like to try doing the same thing with thinner rod. The purple that you see is light from the UV leds. The center is a silver insert from the failed PMC knob that I ground to size.

Thanks for the chance to play with these FireFox.

Attachments
257660-buttonmods.jpg (229 downloads)