Originally Posted By: Dignan
Fortunately I don't want to do anything extremely fancy. I want to do whatever I can to make the network solid and if you have tips on how to secure it against a dumb kid plugging in a router incorrectly that would be great. I'll be doing some QoS to limit the P2P stuff too.

I'm a Cisco person and there are others on this forum so just post. Go download Cisco CCP and ignore anything that tells you to use SDM. The basic configuration that only does routing out a single WAN connection is what you want to get going first and that shouldn't be difficult. There are best practice guides for locking down Cisco routers which you should follow.

Do you know what feature set is install? And do they have a SMARTnet maintenance contract? No contract = No support = No software updates.

Originally Posted By: Dignan
One thing I'm not certain about is the wireless access points. The customer and the architect didn't listen to me very well and decided that, in the four floors of living space, they wanted a total of seven APs. How on earth do I configure that?

Are they Cisco APs? If you've got that many then they should have gotten a WLC as well to control them all. I assume that they all connect to ethernet as a backhaul and you don't need to do bridging?