Originally Posted By: Dignan
Google moved to vector mapping in their Maps app on Android (looks like it was around the end of 2010, so not quite two years ago), and I could have sworn that it wasn't long afterwards that the same thing came to the iOS version, but my research seems to tell me that it never did, which is odd.

Correct, Maps on iOS powered by Google remain bitmap based, and lack turn by turn navigation. At the announcement of these features, Google stated they would be coming to iOS as well. Two major OS revisions later, and it never materialized. I've not found a verifiable reason either, speculation goes both ways. Some say Apple blocked it, while others say Google withheld it when the two sides couldn't agree on some privacy and other data handling issues. Even at the event back in June, Google said their new stuff was headed to iOS at some point.

Doesn't matter now for the built in maps, since iOS 6 will have Apple provided maps from the companies they acquired. Vector based for all iOS 6 devices, and driving directions for people with newer hardware.