Originally Posted By: Dignan

I may be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if you have a data connection when you start your route, your route will be cached on the phone and you won't simply lose it if you go through a dead spot. The problem is that you probably need a data connection if you make a wrong turn and need course correction. But in a case like that, you'd need to cache a good deal of data if you were doing a 500 mile trip and needed all possible detours along the way. Chances are, in those cases, that at some point you'll be able to get signal back somewhere and correct your course anyway.

Yes, you are right about creating a route and you will be OK if you stay on track. However if you make a wrong turn and keep going (reminds me of a Bruce Springsteen song) you will need a data connection to get back on track. Or if you get to your destination and then want to go somewhere (maybe to a restaurant) you need a data connection again. However for me I have a phone that isn’t a phone. I have a Samsung wifi 5.0. It’s an android machine with no phone or data connection other than wifi (and no monthly bills). When traveling I use my Verizon MiFi (an internet connection that isn’t a phone either) but since this is also my home IPS I often don’t take it with me. So being able to have a totally “off the grid” GPS navigation system is a big deal for me.