Originally Posted By: Archeon
Roger, any thoughts on the Nexus 7 by now?

I picked up the Nexus 7 as a netbook replacement (because my netbook is rubbish), so it's largely doing coffee table duty in the living room. For this, something larger was probably more sensible, but at £200, it's a no-brainer to grab one and play with it.

Size-wise, it's almost exactly the same size as the original Kindle, which means that it's very portable, but not as portable as my Samsung S3. This means that I don't tend to take it places with me.

Performance and battery-wise, I'm pretty happy with it. Jelly Bean is as pretty and as smooth as advertised.

The screen is superb, but (as you'd expect) it's not great in sunlight, so I tend to take my Kindle on my commute, rather than the Nexus 7. It looks awesome when playing games, so I'll be looking for more games (also for the kids).

The lack of expandable storage (I got the 16GB one) is not a big deal for me -- I've loaded a couple of movies and some TED talks onto it. For music, I'll stick with either the empeg, or my iPod Shuffle.

The lack of 3G is more of a problem than I thought it would be, but that's due to the fact that the open WiFi in the office was broken last week, and that I can't get my S3 to tether over WiFi. At home, and when the office WiFi works, I don't think it'll be a problem.

The keyboard's OK, but not great, even after installing SwiftKey 3 Tablet. I might look for a Bluetooth keyboard for it, or I might just avoid too much typing on it.

The included calendar app is rubbish. I want to pinch zoom to move between month, week and day view, and it doesn't do that, which is actually really frustrating. Though, as discussed elsewhere, all Android calendar apps seem to suck in at least one dimension.

On balance, I'm happy with it, but I'm probably not a typical tablet user, so take this all with a pinch of salt. By which I mean that it's probably better than I think it is.